We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Shannon

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Shannon

We want to get to Shannon from Edinburgh on May 21, 2014. Aer Lingus apparently flies this route except on Wednesday. Can someone suggest an alternative way to get from Edinburgh to Shannon? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Why do you want to go to Shannon? It's an airport in the middle of nowhere. One option would be to make your way from Edinburgh to Glasgow airport as Flybe serve the GLA-SNN route.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Yup, www.flybe.com operate from Glasgow to Shannon on Wednesdays, flight is scheduled to depart 10:50am, arr. 12:15. Getting from Edinburgh to Glasgow airport for a 10:50am flight is perfectly do-able, although you'd be travelling through at a busy period of the day so best to leave a little extra time.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

We are on a tour of Scotland that ends in Edinburgh on the 21st and have tentatively booked another tour that starts in Limerick on the 21st and Shannon is the nearest airport. I couldn't find any planes from Glasgow to Shannon either. Would we have to get to London and then fly to Shannon?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Thank you for this information on flybe flight. This looks like just what we need to make it from one tour to the next one.

Now, can you tell me the best/easiest way to get from downtown Edinburgh to the airport in Glasgow to catch this flight?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Take a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street stn. There is a train every 15mins, journey time is about 50 minutes and a single fare is around £12 (see www.scotrail.co.uk although you do not need to book ahead) Once you arrive then either get the airport bus from outside the station or take a taxi, its a journey of around 20mins. A taxi is more expensive but obviously a bit less hassle with luggage etc.

You should leave a bit of extra time as you would be travelling at a buy time of day, so I'd aim to leave Edinburgh around 7:30am to be sure of making your flight.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Thank you so much!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

If your stuck and haven't done anything you could fly to cork and get a bus to limerick it's only about 90 mins away !! Aerlingus fly from edinburgh to cork !!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

Thank you for this tip. I'll look at it. Do you have an opinion of which would be easier?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,760 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

If it were me I would go to Glasgow the night before your flight and stay in a hotel either in the city centre or by the airport to save an early morning dash from Edinburgh. Trains before 9:30am are a lot more expensive than later in the day (about double the cost and very busy!)

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh to Shannon

The OP will only be making a single journey and there is little to no difference in single fares across the day. Even if there was, it's surely questionable whether any savings in train fares would offset the cost of a hotel. As far as time goes, I don't particularly see any reason they can't comfortably get from Edinburgh to Glasgow airport for a flight at 10:50am.

With respect to the alternative of flying to Cork and taking a bus, I would suspect it's a case of 6 and half a dozen. I would say that there is likely to be more frequency/flexibility on public transport between Edinburgh and Glasgow than there is between Cork airport and Limerick - The only timetable I could find for direct busses from Cork apt to Limerick says they only run roughly once every three hours and take nearly 2 hours.