We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh - August 2014

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh - August 2014

I need advice.....

We are planning to come to Edinburgh mid-August 2014 for about 4 nights to see the Tattoo and the festivals. I was skeptical as I knew the prices would be out of this world.

I have been researching accommodation for the last 3 hours. There is one hostel that is currently ~£12 per night per person. I'm worried it is an error as it is the only one at that price and on hostelbookers they have good reviews, however they have ALL bad reviews on Trip Advisor.

The next best price is £25 per night per person for a hostel. I'm hesitant to pay that for a cheap hostel that has inflated prices because of the month.

So... I've been thinking maybe we stay two nights in Edinburgh - especially for after the Tattoo. And the other two nights on the outskirts where it -correct me if I'm wrong- should hopefully be cheaper? And then catch bus or train in for the next two days?

Any advice?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

It won't be cheaper wherever you stay in Edinburgh in August - and staying outside of Edinburgh is a false economy as it will increase your travel costs, mean you spend more time travelling and may find that public transport does not run at a late hour.

But which hostels are you considering?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

Boutique Backpackers is the £12 one and Budget Backpackers and Smart City Hostels are the two around £25-30.

Yeah I thought as much - sigh might just have to bite the bullet. Gotta get used to spending money if I'm traveling ;). I inherited my mothers frugal nature unfortunately.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

Lots of people stay outside of Edinburgh during the festival period.

A number of friends come to Glasgow and do day trips through using the train. No problem at all.

Scotrail have in the past run extra trains to ease some of the extra demand. No reason to suspect they wont do the same again.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

Whilst staying in Glasgow and getting the train in to Edinburgh daily is normally recommended, this will add over £20 per day to your costs and if you are looking at rock bottom priced accommodation then it will be better to stay in Edinburgh as this will eat into your budget. You won't find accommodation any cheaper in Glasgow and for £30 per night, I wouldn't have high expectations.

It might be worth seeing if Travelodge Edinburgh (12 locations) have anything left at a reasonable price. Certainly better quality than a hostel

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

Might not cost you as much as £20 to travel

Current off peak return rail fare is £12.60

Or you could get the bus for less than ten pounds return.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 12:00
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

A day pass on the Edinburgh buses currently costs £3.50, and there are night services - all night - to many parts of town. If you stay *in* Edinburgh you won't be stuck because of late transport.

There are lots of small hotels and B&Bs which are, well, between the centre and the outskirts. A couple of locations you might look for on TA or Google would be Minto Street, or Gilmore place, or the areas nearby. Both are well placed for transport and not really a long way from the centre of town and the venues you might be interested in. Travel time is likely to be 10-15 minutes to most venues.

Once you identify a few locations on a map, compare them with bus services (the night buses are prefixed N) and double check you're near a route not out in the sticks. Also see if you can find a 2013 Fringe venue map. In other words, getting your head round the geography.

lothianbuses.com/timetables-tickets-maps (web or pdf maps)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

My experience is that Travelodge tend to price gouge in the festival season. We booked in February 2012 for an August 2012 and paid over £100/night for a room that was only half a step up from a hostel (and where the lift worked about 1/4 of the time we were there) I just tried a dummy booking for a single room for some random days in August and all the central Edinburgh TLs are coming out well above £100/night.

£25/night sounds like a very good price for Edinburgh in the festival. I would read the negative TA reviews of the places you are considering carefully to see what they are criticising and whether they are problems you can live with. Often I find negative reviews on TA are criticising things that are not important to me (lack of fridge in a budget hotel), so I take them with a pinch of salf.

8. Re: Edinburgh - August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17