We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Hi all,

due to family circumstances me and my partner are having to bring forward our wedding to around the end of February 2014. The downside is as of just now we only have around £1000 and are struggling to find somewhere that will either provide both a ceremony, wedding breakfast & evening reception or to cut costs a good registry office then somewhere else to have the breakfast and evening reception.

We are looking to have a small wedding with approximately 21 people for the ceremony and meal and 70-100 people at the evening reception. Any help will be much appreciated as this is having to be done at quick fire speed :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

If you are looking to have a civil (non-religious) wedding, it will need to take place in one of the licensed venues (http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory/9/). If you have a registry office wedding, you would be able to have the reception anywhere you like.

When we got married, we had a registry office wedding, a meal in a favourite restaurant and the reception in one of the Edinburgh University student bars. The whole cost was within your budget, but that was nearly 13 years ago. I have attended relatively low cost weddings at Portobello Town Hall and the City Chambers as well.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

I suspect that at your budget you will have to hire a venue for the reception and self-cater if possible.

Stewart's Melville RFC venue hire is £130 but they require a specific caterer

www.stewmelrugby.com/hospitality/club-hire/

I can't find a website for Joyce Waterston Catering to get menu prices from.

Heriot's at Goldenacre have kitchen facilities you can use if you wish to self cater

heriotsrugbyclub.co.uk/members-supporters/…

Also worth checking Edinburgh Leisure who run the council sports facilities

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

I agree I think you're looking at hiring a hall and self catering - probably even doing the food yourself rather than hiring in caterers. If you bear in mind the cost of a meal for 20 people alone - say £30 a head for food and wine (which isn't that much on the scale of nice food) there's £600 of your budget gone already.

I was going to suggest the botanic gardens as I know they often do special offers on winter weddings but that's from £3995 so well over your price range. rbge.org.uk/assets/files/Gardens/edinburgh/V…

I think you need to manage your expectations here! You aren't going to find any traditional wedding venue to do a ceremony, meal and evening reception for £1000. I reckon rooms in rugby / golf clubs and self catering the evening reception is going to be your affordable option. Some of these places however won't let you do your own catering.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

http://www.quayweddings.com/

have a look at this place,Ok its not Edinburgh but is on the Edinburgh side of Musselburgh and just outside the city limits.

edinburgh
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Hi,

You can marry wherever you wish if you choose a Humanist celebrant. Cost is about £400 humanism-scotland.org.uk/content/…

You can marry at the registrar. There is a nice one in Leith that has a lovely staircase and nice external pillarshttp://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20240/registration_offices/1860/leith_registration_office

fees are not unlike those of the Humanist celebrants, but would include a venue for the ceremony. https:/…4

if you are planning on subtracting the £400 from the £1000 budget you have only £600 for the rest of the day. 21 guests for breakfast. and 70+ for and evening reception. Self catering from somewhere like Costco at a church hall or similar is about the only thing that I can imagine falls into that budget.

that also assumes people are byob for the evening.

6. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 00:35
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Hi. Can I please clarify that you mean 1000 GBP? That is a tiny budget, with the average wedding costing well over 10 times that. You soul hire a hall and ask people to bring a dish and some drinks. But the basic costs of table decorations, balloons, crockery, glasses, etc soon adds up.

Some tips to make it cheaper-

- Do you have a friend that can play music or has a dj set?

- a budding photographer who can offer their services?

- putting placards on each table advertising a unique Instagram hashtag for the event (eg "brownsgettinghitched") and get everyone to upload and tag their photos - instant wedding album that everyone can see!

- homemade wedding favours - little piece of tablet wrapped in a square of Tartan fabric, etc.

There are loads more tips online.

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Why was my post removed?! l don't understand how I broke the rules? Can someone clarify please.

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Why was my post removed?! l don't understand how I broke the rules? Can someone clarify please.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! Wedding Venues needed.

Sazzlepops, I didn't see your post- what did it say? Posts tend to be removed if they seem to be advertising/soliciting or defamatory. The forum guidelines give full rules and regs. You can complain to that tripadvisor help centre if you believe your post was unduly removed.

Abs :)