We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

Leeds
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

Hi

Am trying to decide between the Apex Waterloo and Radisson Blu for a 2 night stay with my wife.

Wanting to be close to the action but also get a decent nights sleep in a nice hotel. Any preference or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

I stayed at Radisson Blu a couple of years ago and got two not particularly comfy beds pushed together and a very thin pillow. Location is a big plus though. Sleep-wise Apex does the best beds and better quality bedding, and the location is not too shabby either. Based on personal experience I'd opt for the Apex, but bear in mind that my experience is a few years old and may not be relevant now.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

We stayed at the Radisson Blu this summer, with the two beds pushed together (and a third one for our son). We thought the beds were comfy enough, and we had several pillows to choose from. While not the height of luxury, it was a very nice room. Our room faced the courtyard in back, so we heard a little noise from a pub (especially when trash was taken out). However, it didn't disturb us, we were all able to sleep very well. I usually have difficulty sleeping in hotel rooms, so I was pleased.

And the location was absolutely fantastic and the staff extremely helpful! I'm hoping to go back this coming summer.

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

Stayed at Apex last month for three nights, for my birthday. I found it faultless. We got direct Cross Country train direct from Leeds, so no changing at York, and hotel only a few minutes from Waverley. Paid a bit more for a superior room, which I thought was worth it, plus opted for breakfast...excellent quality and quantity. And location was perfect for walking to all the main central attractions. Highly recommend it.

Enjoy your trip, Lucy Smith

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

When are you going? We have booked 3 nights at the Missoni for my husband's birthday mid- January. Got a good price by booking 3 months in advance. We looked at the Apex but the Missoni deal was too good to pass up. I'll review it when we get back.

Leeds
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

off in the middle of February, would be interested to hear what the Missoni is like as reviews look good.

thanks

Leeds
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

Has anyone stayed at the Glasshouse, and if so is it a good location for the bars and restaurants whilst being a bit away from the noise?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

The Missoni does its very best to be stylish but not flash. Lots of Scotsmen dressed in black kilts. It's not cheap, and I can't comment on the bedrooms, having only used the hotel's public parts.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

If it's just between the two hotels you first mentioned I'd vote Apex. But be aware rooms overlooking Waterloo Place itself can have a bit of traffic noise. Go for a grade above standard if you can for a bit of extra space. The hotels are only 5 minutes walk apart (10 mins slow stroll) so both are good on location.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

We noted last week when we pased the Apex, that the flats in the area had signs in their windows for people to be quite. One said they where getting no sleep. We assumed it was a noise area. We where staying at the Kniight Residence and asked for a room at the back, you could hear a pin drop, it was so quiet. However, after years of staying in Edinburgh, we would not consider staying anywhere else.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Edinburgh for birthday -Hotel recommendation

There are multiple Apexes (Apices?) and the one in the Grassmarket is in a noisy area, frequented by lots of party-goers, stag and hen parties, and on Friday and Saturday nights in particular the clubs go on until about 3 am. And the Apex isn't the cause of the problem, it's the pubs and clubs nearby.

I am not aware of Apex Waterloo having that reputation, or being in a noisy area, but I could be wrong.

Might it be Apex City in the grassmarket you're referring to, Frances-Jane, as it's not that far from the Knight Residence?

Edited: 14 December 2013, 23:38