We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Which would you personally recommend? I'm swaying more towards the Kitchin as I like the sound of the relaxed atmosphere in the reviews but really can't make my mind up as the food looks excellent at both... Help?!?

Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Scottish National War Memorial
Castles, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mons Meg
Castles, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Personally, I love Harvey Nicks for lunch. Lovely food, great service and fab views.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

I've not eaten at The Kitchin (yet!), however Castle Terrace follows the same ethos. The food at Castle Terrace is wonderful, the service is attentive without being "in your face". It's not at all stuffy and has a lovely relaxed ambiance. The lunch menu is fantastic value. I can highly recommend it!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

I would check out both menus and see which one suits you better because the lunch menus are a bit limited with choices.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Make sure that you book well in advance so that you're not disappointed. I took my husband for lunch at Kitchin for his 40th and it was fantastic. Even more special that you could see Tom Kitchin (in the kitchen!) and there was a signed birthday card from him for other half.

We had the wine pairings, which were excellent.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

We have been to both, both are fantastic, you wont go wrong which ever one you choose

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Mrs J and I have been going to Castle Terrace for special celebrations regularly since they opened and really love the place. Not particularly formal. Great cooking, friendly staff. We've never been able to get a table at the Kitchin when it has suited us, so can't compare, but we have tried all the other big names. Although it's often rated #1 in Edinburgh by "foodies", we found the atmosphere at RMW far too formal for us.

Castle Terrace does us very nicely, thank you!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

Interested by the comments - i am really not a fan of formal "fine dining" with hushed descriptions of courses and a feeling you might get an exam on them at the end (I thought RMW at Cameron house a bit like that) - sounds like either of these might give more of a relaxed experience?

8. Re: For lunch... The Kitchin or Castle Terrace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16