We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

We are going to Edinburgh from 19-23 Feb and have 4 full days. After booking I have realized it might be too much and I am thinking about changing the ticket to 3 days. However, would 4 days in the city be too much and are there any good day trips to do?

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

Try www.edinburgh.org for some ideas.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

I'll suggest what I suggested to someone else:

Try the boat trip+Inchcolm Island visit. I did it on my first trip to Edinburgh this year and it was great. Also, if you get the first boat you can be back in Edinburgh by mid-afternoon so have time for something else.

http://www.maidoftheforth.co.uk/

http://www.forthtours.com/

I went with the latter company, who provide a bus to get you from the centre of Edinburgh to the quayside, but you have to purchase the island ticket on the boat. With the former you have to make your own way, but can buy an island-inclusive ticket beforehand.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

In February it will be freezing for a boat trip!!!! It will possibly be snowing so don't make too many plans in advance for travelling outside of the city.

St Andrews, Stirling, North Berwick, Glasgow are all good options for day trips and easily done by train, or you could join one of the many tour groups such as Rabbies or Macbackpackers who offer various day trips. In late February it will be daylight until about 5.30pm so you will get a full day of sight seeing.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

Oh, I missed it was in February. I don't think the trips operate then anyway.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,494 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

This company seem to offer day tours in the winter tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186534-d1…

and the mini ones tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186525-…

I think if you are coming up then make the most of it and see the country as well as the city.

It will totally depend on the weather when you come. It is the end of winter so will be cold but brighter days hopefully. The scenery can be dramitic at that time of year and it should look wild and beautiful without so many tourists.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 19:06
California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

Stay the extra day! There are lots of places to visit in Edinburgh and the surrounding area. Contact Rabbies and Timberbush through their web sites. Their day tours are listed and by contacting them via email, you can get more advice and ask questions. I have traveled with both companies and have thoroughly enjoyed their tours.

Level Contributor
3,149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

Go to Glasgow for a day. Easy train ride away, and lots of interesting stuff to see.

8. Re: 4 days in Edinburgh. Suggestions for day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:18