We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh July 2014

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas CIty, MO
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Edinburgh July 2014

A couple of Americans going on our first trip to the UK in July 2014. After a few days in London we plan to catch a train to Edinburgh for a few days there.

Looking to hire a car (at Waverly station?) for a day trip to the Selkirk area. (Bowhill house, since my wife is a Scott)

Any advice on car hire at Waverly?

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh July 2014

I'd try some comparison websites to get good rates.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh July 2014

There's a Europcar and Sixt rental places at Waverley station (if not more) but you might get a better deal from somewhere else in town or nearer to where you're staying. Don't hire it for any longer than you need though as a car in the centre is not useful and very few hotels have parking unless you're staying some way out of town.

There's also a bus service - it takes a while and may not be ideal for where you want to visit but worth checking out. http://firstborders.co.uk/selkirk/selkirk.php

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh July 2014

Where in Edinburgh are you staying? There might be a more convenient pickup point - e.g. Hertz and Avis have offices at Picardy Place, or E London Street, a few blocks N of the station. Personally (having used them in the past) I'd use my local Enterprise office in Leith. And many people choose to hire from the airport, with max choice of company and vehicle. 30 mins journey by bus from Princes Street.

Waverley has limited garage/storage space and [if you google, or search TA] there have been reports of hit or miss service - e.g. vehicles of the selected type not available. It shouldn't happen if you book, should it? But it does.

4. Re: Edinburgh July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:23