We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Prestwick to Edinburgh

Hi Folks, I am currently organising my mates stag and 28 of us are booked on flights from Dublin to Edinburgh for St. Patricks weekend. We are on different flights due to work etc. However Ryanair once again have messed things up. Ten of the groups flight was changed from 3.50pm to 8.50pm which is not suitable at all(it includes the stag!!). As the change is over three hours I can get a refund and our next option was to fly to Prestwick. I did this years ago and cant remember exactly the time it takes to get to Edinburgh? I know I had to go to Glasgow and change stations to Edinburgh. Since there will be ten would a taxi(minibus) from Prestwick to Edinburgh be much more expensive than getting the train?

Your help is appreciated

Anthony

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

You get half price train travel to and from the airport - check out this link

glasgowprestwick.com/to-and-from-prestwick/t…

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

Thank you. In terms of time. Would a taxi be much quicker than getting to Edinburgh than going on the train via Glasgow? I got a quote from Streamline taxi for £160 for 10 people.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

Why can't you fly Aer Lingus either to Edinburgh or Glasgow (which isn't Prestwick)?

On Friday 14th March there's a 15:50 flight to Edinburgh, 16:20 to Glasgow and an 18:10 to Edinburgh all of which are better options than the 17:20 to Prestwick

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

www.thetrainline.com for planning your train journey - it's a train from Prestwick to Glasgow Central then a 5minute walk to Glasgow Queen Street for the Edinburgh train. The website is saying it's a 34minute bus transfer between the 2 stations but that's rubbish - it's a short walk round the corner!!

It's currently showing as £27.20 return per person.....so you'd need a mini bus to be around £100 each way to make it viable. I've always understood it's cheaper to get a taxi from your destination to pick you up i.e. book an Edinburgh mini bus to collect you from Prestwick and a Prestwick / Glasgow one to take you from Edinburgh back (or is it just one way they've messed up?). I wouldn't like to say how much it would cost - 2 guys at work booked a cab back from Edinburgh to the centre of Glasgow after our Xmas party (so midnight on a Friday in December) and it was around £50.

I did a google search and found these people - using a Fri evening in Feb it's giving a quote of £198 for a 10 seater minibus Prestwick airport to Edinburgh one way.

http://abcminibusesedinburgh.co.uk/

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

A taxi is always going to be much quicker than waiting on trains. I would also recommend John's taxis 01292 611227 so you can compare quotes.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

......but Alanrow's idea is much better!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

I'd think about 1hr 30 - 1hr 40 to drive Prestwick airport to the centre of Edinburgh but it could depend on the time of day - getting round Glasgow on the M8 or coming into Edinburgh at rush hour and you could easily add an hour onto that estimate!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,352 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

I was going to suggest Aer Lingus then I got distracted by a visitor. They have flights around the same price as Ryanair and you won't have the time and cost of getting to and from PIK. Better airline too.

No brainer.

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

Thanks for the replies folks. I spoke with Ryanair and I have managed to change a few of the flights to the 12.30pm departure to Edinburgh which works out fine. Five cant make that flight but seem happy to change there flight to Glasgow Prestwick as opposed to going with Aer Lingus. The Aerlingus flights are more than double what we paid for the Ryanair flights. On the way home we will all depart from Edinburgh o it has worked out ok in the end. Thanks for the help.

Anthony

10. Re: Prestwick to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22