We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
9 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

I will be traveling to Scotland in early May and staying in Edinburgh for 5 nights. My maternal family came from the Glasgow area (Lanarkshire) and most emigrated to the States in the early 1900's. I am interested in getting a sense of how they lived. Occupations were miners, ironworkers, dairymen, stonecutters, paper mill workers. Can anyone recommend museums or such that may be worth visiting?

I am thinking of doing a private hire to go to specific locations for one day. I have not quite decided the various locations yet but wonder if there are any recommendations for a good company to use for this. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may share.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Do you have any clues within Lanarkshire, regarding their origins? Lanarkshire being quite a large area ...

The obvious place to visit is Summerlee

visitlanarkshire.com/attractions/…

Or New Lanark, being enlightened industrialism rather than mining - and with access to the falls of Clyde, an excellent and relatively short walk.

http://www.newlanark.org/

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/visit/…

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
9 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Thank you for your suggestions. My grandfather's family came from Airdrie primarily. My grandmother was Coatbridge. I have also seen mention of Shotts, Bothwell and Kirshaw.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Well Summerlee is Coatbridge, but apart from that I'm ignorant - but if you google for Airdrie museum or library, or any other town I'm sure you'll get a lot more starting points. Even a google map for airdrie museum brought up quite a few locations East of Glasgow.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Lady Victoria mining museum is just outside Edinburgh at Newtongrange and will give you a very good idea of what mining was like 100 or so years ago in Scotland. Otherwise New Lanark where you can get a good impression of working conditions for workers in Scotland. If you are traveling in the North of england on your trip then a visit to Beamish Museum nr Durham will give you a real insite into the 18-19 century life of working people. It is huge and requires a whole day visit. The 'Peoples Story' in the Canongate of Edinburgh describes who working people lived and worked in Edinburgh and covers a number of trades. Huntly House across the road from the Peoples Story covers the history of Edinburgh. Both are free entry but are closed on Sundays

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

The summerlea museum in Coatbridge sounds like it could be a good stop for you as it has weavers mills, a mine exhibit and other local history. Originally from airdrie myself so if you have any questions above travel in area ask away!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

I'd strongly recommend a visit to the Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life in Coatbridge: www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx…

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Kirshaw? Can't say I've heard of it - are you sure you don't mean Wishaw? The places you mention are mostly closer to Glasgow and more easily accessed from there as most of them are on the Glasgow suburban rail network. I'm afraid I don't know anything about private tours - I may be wrong, but I would suspect that those operating from Edinburgh might not be that familiar with N Lanarkshire;-)

New Lanark and Summerlee museum are good suggestions - Summerlee is fairly near to Coatbridge Sunnyside railway stn which has direct trains to Edinburgh every 30 or so minutes (45 min journey). You might also be interested in Scotland St school museum in Glasgow - this is a museum about education in the late 19th/early 20th century (and also a well known Charles Rennie Mackintosh building). Lastly, for the farming side as opposed to industrial, there is also the National Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride to the S of Glasgow.

I know N Lanarkshire very well and have been all over the region as part of my work. You may be aware of this already, but N Lanarkshire is a mainly industrial area that's not generally high on the tourist itinerary, so please bear this in mind and don't come expecting pretty villages and stunning scenery!

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
9 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Thank you so much. This is helpful!

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
9 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

You are right; it is Wishaw. I was trying to write my note by memory, and clearly the memory failed! Thank you for your information. From my online research and my sister's trip previously to Coatbridge, I am aware that North Lanarkshire is more industrial and not a "pretty" place. I had hoped the farm that my grandfather was born on would still be there, but it was turned into a housing development in the 60's …. and so goes the world, I'm afraid. Thanks again.

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
9 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions about travel near Edinburgh

Thank you for your information.