We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Tattoo

Virginia
Level Contributor
186 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Tattoo

Getting ready to buy tickets for the Tattoo - can anyone advise if the day of the week we attend makes any difference. And I'm kind of thinking about springing for one of the "packages" which includes food, drinks, greetings from members of the cast, and such. Has anyone done that - is it worth it? I know I need to do it soon before it's sold out. Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

The late Saturday performance has a fireworks display at the end otherwise it's the same show every time

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

We have done the Stewart package and IMO it was well worth it. You have an opportunity to walk around the staging area inside the castle where the various units are getting ready. Great views over the city and the dinner is great. Rather then having champagne we opted for some very cool Heinekens as it was a very warm evening, at least when we first arrived. It does get very cool at night.

The seats are great and a bit wider.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Friends went on the Backstage tour last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. They did not do the Saturday night as it is apparently a bit more rushed with there being two performances but if you get the chance go for it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
186 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Thanks - too bad the backstage isn't available Sat night since that has the fireworks. Probably going with a package - but I'd opt for the champagne. If you can't see it - my cat picture is juggling a champagne cork:)

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

We will be going to the Tattoo this year (very excited). I'm curious about the amount of walking involved. My mum has limited mobility and we are trying to figure out whether we should have her use her rollator or wheelchair. How far is the walk from the entrance to the esplanade? What is the best way to get there? Is it best just to better to go with a motorcoach tour?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

If you check the Tattoo website there is a section on disabled access - as I recall it involves hunky young men in kilts

Coach tours do not drop off at the castle or anywhere near

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Why yes, kilts. That's why I think my mom should go! lol But seriously, is it a mile at a steep grade? Or are people walking slow enough it seems quite gradual?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Personally I think you would be better with the wheelchair, as it would be more comfortable for your mum, espcially if you were also visiting shops on the Royal Mile, most of this is cobbled road, but some gorgeous Tartan shops, cashmere & woollen shops, whisky shops etc, also many bars and resturants! have a lovely time!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Direct from the Tattoo website:

Facilities for disabled

We offer a wide range of facilities for disabled visitors

Facilities for disabled

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is Scotland's biggest, best-selling outdoor spectacle.

It is the most popular annual event on the Scottish calendar, attracting an international audience each year of some 217,000 people. As such, we are proud to offer a wide range of facilities and services for disabled visitors.

Facilities for the disabled

Its ancient, historic setting, on the Esplanade (the Tattoo venue) of Edinburgh Castle is matchless. Located high above the skyline of the oldest and most popular part of the City, perched on an extinct volcano some 135 metres above sea level, it may present access difficulties for some. Particularly, the elderly, people with disabilities or of limited mobility, those with heart or respiratory problems and vertigo sufferers.

Castlehill, the old-cobbled approach to the Esplanade, is a short walk of some 80 metres, though on a steep incline which, consequently, may prove difficult for some. In addition, there is on average, a further 60 metres followed by a dozen or so steps to be negotiated to reach the front rows of all the spectator stands in the arena where generally the seating is quite steeply tiered.

People with disabilities are welcome and facilities exist for the siting of wheelchairs at all performances. Our licensing requirements are such that wheelchair patrons may NOT be admitted to the arena unless accompanied by an able bodied attendant BUT in this connection an admission ticket will be provided free of charge. Facilities also exist for disabled patrons who are not confined to a wheelchair but who have limited mobility. Please contact the Box Office for further details. Disabled toilet facilities are available on the Esplanade.

Vehicle Passes

Vehicle Passes, only for those in possession of tickets for the disabled seating areas, may be issued which allow access to the Esplanade by Car, Taxi or Ambulance, however, they cannot be issued for performances on Saturdays under any circumstances.

A Vehicle Pass will permit the bearer to transport wheelchair patrons onto the Esplanade BUT vehicles must arrive in sufficient time to unload their passengers and clear the Esplanade AT LEAST 60 minutes before the start of the performance in question. The pass is not a permit to park on or near the Esplanade and is valid only on the date shown.

Vehicles should report to St Giles Street 100 minutes prior to the commencement of the Tattoo performance to be directed by the police onto the Esplanade. The vehicle MUST then be removed from the Esplanade by the bearer, returning to the Esplanade as instructed by the police some 30 minutes after the performance end.

If you wish to apply for such a pass please do so at the time of ordering tickets. You will be required to provide the following details indicating whether or not your order is dependant upon the allocation of a vehicle pass:-

Date required (not Saturday)

Vehicle Type

Vehicle Registration Number (if known)

Blue Badge Number

Driver's Name or Organisation and Driver's mobile telephone number

Number of persons with disabilities/Total Number of passengers

Hope that helps :)

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Tattoo