We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for rugby weekends

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for rugby weekends

My husband & I got last minute tickets for rugby at Murrayfield on Feb 8th & March 8th. The last train leaves before the end of the game & so I have been trying to find self catering for 1 night on each of these dates. So far over the past week I have contacted about 10 or more people via this website & airbnb but no-one has even replied!! I contacted Edlets who said that 1 night would be difficult but they would try but all they have sent is 2 night stays for each weekend. We cannot stay for 2 nights due to work commitments & I am unwilling to pay for 2 nights & only use 1. Can anyone offer any advise on what else I can do that won't involve paying what amounts to a mortgage payment?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

Consider staying outside Edinburgh - you may have to go as far as Stirling / Dunblane to get room availability especially for 1 night. Good train service from Haymarket.

Premier Inn Stirling has a Saver room at £50 or Flexible at £55, it is a bit outside Stirling though so either allow time for a not terribly frequent bus or budget for a taxi going back in the evening.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

It's a given that self catering establishments do not like/do one night only deals. Try all the budget hotels in Edinburgh that is your best bet. Forget the self catering.

We booked into an Hotel for one night when my husband was watching the Rugby at Murrayfield. I shopped he watched the game... Then a nice meal in the evening. However, we did book a long time in advance.

Good luck,

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

Also have a look on laterooms at Glasgow as there are a number of places with availability for £60 and less which are no more than a ten minute taxi ride from Queen St station, where you would get the train to Haymarket.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 15:21
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

Laterooms and booking.com would be your best bet, also have a look for rooms in say Dunfermline, as hubby could get good transport links to Edinburgh , both train & buses, be sure that both hotels and B & B's know the rugby is on and will be making a killing on prices

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

We used to stay in Kirkcaldy which is a 30 minute train journey to Edinburgh, good rail service. I note the Beveridge Hotel in Kirkcaldy for 8th February is £49.00 for a double room with breakfast. If you are coming by car, they have a large car park and are very near the train station.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

I just had a look on booking.com for 8th Feb, and there's barely a hotel room to be had in Edinburgh, never mind self catering. The Premier Inn at Edinburgh Park has availability at £129 and that seems to be the cheapest room available. It's right on the edge of Edinburgh adjacent to an office park, but is adjacent to a train station which whizzes you in to Haymarket in 5 minutes.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

Travel Lodge at Falkirk (taxi to/from Falkirk High or Falkirk Grahamston) is showing as £44 and Travel Lodge at Cumbernauld (Taxi to/from Croy) is showing as £35.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

Scotland - England & Scotland - France are the biggest rugby games in Scotland, thus your problem with accommodation.

As you are in Northumberland why don't you drive - even coming from the south of Northumberland it's a maximum of 2 hours drive. Park at Hermiston Gate Park & Ride and it's a straight bus ride to the ground

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

wow, there really is a lack of rooms! I found this by googling occassional room to rent Edinburgh:

www.housetrip.com/en/rentals/244894…

driving might be the best option and use the park n ride, you could be halfway home while you're going to a hotel in Glasgow or Stirling! Or there were a couple on Expedia available in North Berwick which is on the train and in the right direction for you heading home (assuming it's northumberland you're from?).

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for rugby weekends

We are sorted now! Thanks for all your contributions. We are staying at a flat in Leith for the Feb 8th game (found on airbnb). Just to also say that I am disgusted at the amount of people that didn't even bother replying to my enquiry on Homeaway, airbnb & Tripadvisor. How they expect to get their properties rented I don't know!! I do know that if I need accommodation again their property will not be 1 I will consider.