We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for rare weekend away for parents

cumbria
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for rare weekend away for parents

I have posted a few years ago to get advice for a trip to Edinburgh with my sister and had a fab time thanks to the support from the forum. So here I go again.......

We are parents of 3 young children and this is a rare weekend away treat involving lots of childcare planning! So I want to make the most of every moment.

It is a celebration for my husbands 50 th. we hope to travel Friday and leave Sunday, some friends will join us from England and we intend to organise a meal out for us to all meet up with some Scottish friends on the sat night.

We are thinking of staying ion tiger lily. Central, easy and big bedroom to chill in. Other central options welcome. I want a treat, not basic. I have been at Caledonian Hilton and like location but not dreally for my rare weekendnaway.Ideas welcome.

I would like to book Sheraton spa for the Friday.

We need ideas for lunch sat (Harvey nics?) , dinner Friday (probably for 6 of us, not noisy, good food, would consider short taxi )

Ideas for sat ( art gallery or tour. It something gentle but interesting)

The biggie is sat night we had a meal at captains table a few years ago and this sort of venue would be prefect for 10 or so people. We want to talk! So not loud. Our more local friends would probably take a train so closer to wavrerly an advantage.

Was used to live in Edinburgh so know it just not up to date.

Planned dates end of march.nothing booked. Please come with some ideas. Thanks

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

My absolute favourite Edinburgh hotel for a childfree night away is The Missonni which is on the Royal Mile. We've also stayed in the Balmoral which was great but a bit too "touristy" for my liking. As for food we always head to the Phuket Pavillion down by the Playhouse so can't help much there. I've heard lots of recommendations for The Dome.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

If you stay at the West End of George St / Princes Street, you can easily visit the Gallery of Modern Art, Belford Road. From there, there are steps down to the water of Leith, and a walk through Dean village, down to Stockbridge, or Canonmills. Or divert to the Botanic Gardens, Inverleith. Or continue down to The Shore, Leith were there are many good eating establishments.

From Leith, 20mins by bus back to town, maybe half that in a taxi.

I wouldn't mention places unless there were good cafes and restaurants nearby - so you could so a leisurely Saturday Gallery/walk/lunch. Suggestions available if you think it's a good idea.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Harvey nics do some great events, if anything ties in with your dates? Id also suggest the dome for somewhere different and a bit special. Also the living room- and they do a private area depending on numbers, also a pianist. Or browns. Hotel chocolat do tasting sessions, or could do whisky tasting, something at the theatre or even go the other side of the royal mile and do a ghost tour, visit the castle, mary kings close or tour of the vaults and dinner at the witchery? National galleries is another option, afternoon tea at the balmoral is lovely too :-)

cumbria
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Thanks everyone for ideas. We have narrowed date range to end of march or first weekend April. We found living room very noisy befor, two friends are slightly deaf some want somewhere quieter so we can all talk

Derek we have never been to museum of modern art so that sounds good. We want to eat close to central edinbugh so friends can get train to town and join us so prefer not Leith. I will check on the dome as could suit for Friday, also will look at the missonni hotel. Thanks again

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

We had a good time doing this - bit of fun, drink and food- http://www.eatwalkedinburgh.co.uk

Check out the dome website - they don't take bookings some days, so you have the queue in the street and hope you get a table.....

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Harvey Nick's is great for lunch and if you get a seat by the windows, fabulous views of the town. Also, go into the cocktail bar for a drink and then have a browse around the shop...My favourite lunchtime venue.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Try cafe truva 77,the shore , fantastic turkish cafe,when you're down near leith,bus stops a few steps away,you will not be disappointed!!

also the national portarait gallery,queen street,just been refurbed,well worth a visit even if you're not a conniseur but just love lovely things!!

enjoy!!!!!!

cumbria
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Thanks

again, am thinking of the dome private room booking for the sat night she we have party of between 12 and 16. Very Little info on website.m

Any one out there who had used it? Might start new thread if no replies as need to get sorted soon!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Have never used the dome private area but if you need to try somewhere else I can thoroughly recommend reserving a private area in the living room- they do a lovely buffet, priced by item, private area sectioned by a curtain which you can open later on to mingle if you fancy it, and often a great pianist x

cumbria
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for rare weekend away for parents

Have now booked tiger lily. So hotel sorted. Probably go to the dome in private room for say night if we can sort it. Friday night still up for ideas. We all like Thai so will look at Phuket pavilion. Lunch Harvey nics if they can accommodate us. Might send the men on whiskey tour.... While women shop. Art gallery sounds ideal for morning of sat.husband will just enjoy being with friends so some kind of pub hop ideal. Bring back memories of Seville ! So only really Friday nights uncertain, we would do lunch at browns a on Friday I think

Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh