We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Edinburgh

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Edinburgh

Hello! We (3 girlfriends) are visiting Edinburgh April 1 - April 3 of this year. We are staying pretty centrally located in the city of Edinburgh (near the castle). The current plan is to do the Hop on/off bus the first day to get familiar and to see all the "touristy" sites. Our second day we will likely take the train south to the border area and possibly even to Alnwick Castle :) Our 3rd day I was thinking Stirling... but looking for suggestions.

We love architecture, old towns/buidings (but not ruins) and site seeing - we are not into museums or places with lots of lecture. We all walk without problems - but don't mind taking public transport either.

We would also like to get recommendations of great traditional eating pubs/restaurants. (Would like to keep them fairly cheap though - not looking for 5 star/5 diamond :D ) Are any of the whisky tours worth it?

What do you recommend for night life? (good traditional pubs with traditional music?)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,850 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

I think you are having 1day in Edinburgh and sorry to say you will not see all the touristy sites in one day. It would take maybe a week to brush the surface.

Why spread yourself so thin? Edinburgh is the most wonderful place, full of history and so many things to see and do. I would spend my 3 days in Edinburgh and not wear myself out travelling for miles.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

Have to agree it seems a bit of a waste to travel to Edinburgh and not spend sone time enjoying it. Sounds like you are ticking boxes rather than have the time to experience the place.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

You need to spend all 3 days in Edinburgh, I love Stirling & Alnwick, but with only 3 days, you will find plenty to do in this city! The Georgian House on Charlotte Square is lovely. The Botanic Garden will provide the vibe for outdoor spectacle and the Castle can rival both Stirling & Alnwick. If I had more time, Stirling is fabulous as is Alnwick Castle & Gardens, but you have not. Stay put and immerse yourself in a fantastic city.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

Thank you for the quick responses! I will pass it by the girls! Maybe we will do two days in Edinburgh and one day out and about.

I have been to Edinburgh before (sadly it was a day trip up from Newcastle) and I LOVED it!

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

Please let me know if I can be any help. I am an ex-pat from the US and love this area.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

If you want an alternative to the HOHO on day 1, you might like to consider

www.edinburghcabtours.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

Thank you again for the replies!

8. Re: 3 days in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29