We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

My wife and I will be in Strasbourg, France, for a few days in July 2014. Our last day there will be 6 July 2014. We would like to make a tour of the UK for two weeks, starting from 7 July 2014.

In the UK, we would like to visit London, and the surrounding area attractions like Bath and Stonehenge. We also want to visit Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasglow, Loch Ness lake, etc), and maybe Ireland as well.

From Strasbourg to the UK, I am considering either taking train or flying, to either London or Edinburgh. Going to Edinburgh first, with London as our last stop, seems more logical as we can fly directly from London back to Singapore (from London to Singapore, we can either fly direct by British Airlines, or one with transit at Paris. But from Edinburgh to Singapore, it doesn't seem so straight forward). So my plan is to start from the north and work our way south to London.

What is the best way to travel from Strasbourg to Edinburgh then? There is option to take a TGV train to Paris, and then fly to Edinburgh. It seems that there are also flights from Strasbourg to Edinburgh, transitting at Brussels.

I have read about the tour group Rabbies (http://www.rabbies.com/). Are they worth taking up while we are in Edinburgh? I am thinking of using Rabbies when in London, to tour Stonehenge and Bath. I hope the tour group is not too rushing.

Do let me know if you have suggestions on how to tour the attractions outside the main cities like London and Edinburgh, apart from signing up a tour group like Rabbies. We can drive, so renting a car is also another option.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

As you are aware there are no direct flights to either Edinburgh or Glasgow from Strasbourg but flying from Paris is probably the sensible option.

Loch Ness is a long way to go to look at some water and there are prettier and closer lochs to see.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

I don't know how easy it is to get to Frankfurt from Strasbourg by train but there used to be direct flights to Edinburgh from there with Lufthansa/BMI codeshare.

I agree that I wouldn't spend a day in a minibus just to look at Loch Ness! You do easily spend about 3 days in Edinburgh and can do Glasgow from Edinburgh in a day trip on the train. A hire car to go north from Edinburgh would be another option depending on what you want to see and do. You definitely don't need a hire car in the city itself though!

Or another option would be to drive south of Edinburgh through the borders doing Hadrians Wall and the Northumberland coasts and castles then maybe pick up the train at Newcastle or Durham. Or you could drive down the west and go to the Lake District (but your visit will overlap with the main school summer holiday so it could be very busy) then head to somewhere like Chester and pickup the train to London from there or Manchester or Liverpool.

The Edinburgh to London train line seems like a fairly obvious starting point to plan an intinary depending on how many days you have left taking into account London, Edinburgh, Bath etc.....York would be worth a visit for a couple of nights.

So many places so little time! I'd work out how long you want to spend in London then how many days you have to play with and if you want to travel purely by public transport or get a hire car for part of your stay.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Also take a look at flying Easyjet from Basel. You can take a direct train from Strasbourg then bus or taxi to the airport.

Might be easier to take the TGV to CDG and fly from there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Hi, I think your idea of going to Scotland first is a good idea, check out the www.skyscanner.net website for flight combinations from Switzerland and France.

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Thanks for the reply guys.

We plan to go from Strasbourg to UK on 7 Jul 2014, and fly back to Singapore on late 18 Jul 2014.

I was thinking of Scotland, Ireland and England for these two weeks, but probably may have to skip Ireland as it would be cramping too much in.

I am thinking of two full days in London, and one day trip to Stonehenge/Bath (and any other places) with a tour group.

We like sceneries and castles, but so much into arts or museums. Scotland seems to offer a lot of what we like, so we probably can spend a number of days there.

edinem:

You are suggesting 3 days in Edinburgh. But it seems like a small city, and we probably can do all the sights within a day. Am I missing something? For 3 days, are you including day trips outside Edinburgh, such as going to Glasglow?

Driving seems like a good idea to us. We can drive from Edinburgh north, in a counter-clockwise direction, and staying overnight in Inverness. I figure it is at least 5 days in Scotland: at least one day in Edinburgh, one day trip to Glasglow/Stirling by train/bus, one day driving to Inverness from Edinburgh, and one day driving back to Edinburgh.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

No you cannot do all in one day in Edinburgh but if you only want to see one or two things then one day is enough.

Any reason for travelling all the way to Inverness? Nothing wrong with the place but a long drive for one day just to drive back the next day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Hi Williamnt,

One of the 2-day tours by Rabbies actually goes from Edinburgh to Inverness, and then back:

rabbies.com/tours_scotland_edinburgh/…

I thought it would take in all the important sights. Not really good?

I am open to suggestions. We certainly don't want to be driving most of the time.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Personally I would spend more time enjoying and exploring Edinburgh but then I am not a fan of tours. Personal preference.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

Edinburgh is a small city but jam packed with attractions (most best explored on foot so just walking round can absorb a lot of time)....Edinburgh Castle; Holyrood Palace; Bus tour of the city; Walk up arthur's seat (worth it for the view on a clear day!); 4 (?) art galleries; Royal Yacht Britannia; Mary King's Close; botanic gardens; walking tours of the city; National Museum (you could spend 3 days in there alone!); camera obscura; whisky experience; Gladstones Land House; boat trip on the Forth Estuary.....(I;m sure someone will double the length of that list!). I certainly wouldn't spend 2 days driving to Inverness and back on the notorious A9 (check accident statistics for the UK!!) when I could be in Edinburgh or Glasgow!

10. Re: Going from Strasbourg to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:21