We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

merseyside
Level Contributor
176 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

Hi

Coming in march by train midweek, looking at travelodge in Haymarket or the one by Waverley station.

Looking for lively bars, pubs, places to eat, which would be the best one to stay in.

I noticed the one at Waverley has no breakfast, are there any places to have a full English ( forgive me ) by the way we are in our early fifties, but lively fifties.

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

You want a full English in Scotland?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Loads of pubs and cafes will serve full breakfasts, or something more deli like.

Near Waverley? There are three Travelodges within spitting distance almost.

Rose Street, The one that calls itself Princes Street but is actually on the less salubrious Meuse Lane, or Waterlook place. Doesn't really matter which, you'll find cheap food fairly near all of these, within a couple of hundred yards. The Princes Street one often fills up, because it's cheap.

And when talking about lively bars I presume you're talking about lunches, evenings, entertainment at night?

Please define your version of lively? Music, people who will talk to you, really busy or somewhere you can hear your neighbour? Good quality beer?

Want to know about food and entertainment other than bars? Or anything else?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Hi.

I stayed at the Travelodge Central (Royal Mile / St Mary St) last week - it is a less than 5 min walk from Waverley, and has a large restaurant / bar that offers a great breakfast buffet for very reasonable prices. Not quite all the cooked options of a full Scottish - no haggis or black pudding or tattie scones. But there was all the cold things like fruit, cereal, croissants, yogurts, toast, muffins and egg, bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoes.

Abs :)

Edited: 14 February 2014, 08:06
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,638 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Travelodges do breakfasts cooked and not cooked. I see a much cheaper price for others tho which are still central.

I stayed quite a way out but still in the city and there were pubs, bars and cafes serving all sorts of breakfast right outside of a 5min bus trip.

don;t underestimate the excellen transport in the city or believe that all the fun is in the centre, only higher prices.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

travelodge in St. Marys Street near Waverley and also Eglinton Terrace near Haymarket.

merseyside
Level Contributor
176 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Thank you people,

Some great advice, Mistent I apologise for the full English comment, DerekG just need a nice pub with maybe a bit of music not essential though,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

No need to apologise - you are making me feel guilty now! I just think we should all be proud of our own area specialities. Strangely enough I have seen Full English Breakfast advertised in my local 'Scottish?' Chain of the Loch Fyne Restaurant.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,269 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Re Full English. We holiday in Turkey and the restaurants have adverts for full English at 10 Lira and Full Scottish at 12 Lira. There is a lot more to a full Scottish Breakfast than a Full English even in Turkey. So, try the Full Scottish in Edinburgh.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 16:27
9. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:20