We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee near the national library

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee near the national library

Will be visiting the NLS to do some research. The most important thing I need to know is where to get a really decent cup of coffee nearby! Any suggestions please?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee near the national library

NLS on George IV Bridge or Causewayside?

For the former I would suggest Vittoria on the Bridge - though I suspect the Hotel Missoni could rattle up a decent cuppa & it's straight across the road from the NLS

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee near the national library

George IV bridge, so I will check out the vittoria, many thanks.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee near the national library

People tell me I am a bit obsessive about my coffee. That may be so, but there are those that are much more seriously picky. One of them - I have no idea of who - writes an Edinburgh coffee blog, complete with scores and a guide for visitors. I haven't checked all of the places s/he has, but amongst those that I have checked, I agree with the assessments.

…blogspot.com/-Tooa6i4WUbI/UTuSdQkvjqI/AAAAA…

The nearest to the NLS in that list is Hula Juicebar on West Bow, that I haven't tried. Of those that I am familiar with, Peter's Yard is probably the nearest, and it's a pleasant place to sit outdoors, well away from the traffic. But if I were you, I would check all the recommended places out and then make your mind up.

;^)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee near the national library

Hi, the NLS has a coffee shop in the visitor centre:

nls.uk/about-us/what-we-are/visitor-centre

Or just along the road is Caffe Lucano:

http://www.caffelucano.com/

There's also now a branch of Patisserie Valerie on George IV Bridge.

patisserie-valerie.co.uk/cafe-george-IV-brid…

And not far round the corner in the Royal Mile is the coffee shop at St Giles Cathedral:

stgilescathedral.org.uk/visiting/restaurant.…

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee near the national library

John987etc, thank you for the blog link. I am told that I,too have a bit of a coffee obsession. It's not an obsession, it's a necessity.... Will be working in the NLS for several days, so it is important to me that I can find a decent hit on a regular basis! I am maybe wrong, but am fairly certain the coffee shop in the library just isn't going to do it.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee near the national library

Try them all

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee near the national library

The NLS has a coffee shop. Tacky plastic coffee IMO.

Try Caffe Lucano, 100 metres along George IV Bridge.

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee near the national library

I'll try them all (with the possible exception of the nls cafe!) Thank you for your help.

9. Re: Coffee near the national library

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:18