We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOHO bus Edinburgh

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
560 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
HOHO bus Edinburgh

Are there multiple companies that operate a "Hop On Hop Off" bus service in Edinburgh? If not, what is the "official" HOHO bus company? It's a little confusing online....

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

Yes there are lots of different tours available. They all start outside Waverley station and cost about the same- they leave one after the other so just see which one interests you most. visitscotland.com/info/tickets/edinburgh-bus…

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

Most are operated by Lothian Buses so have a look at http://lothianbuses.com/services/tours that will gibe you the routes and also the discounts if taking the combined bus tours over a 2 day period.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
560 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

Does anyone have any insight about the "Majestic" or "Royal" versions of these HOHO tours? These include the price of admission to Edinburgh Castle, Holyroodhouse, and the Royal Yacht Britannia.

However, when I do the math, there doesn't seem to be any discount at all on the price of admission to the included sites. When I compare the price of the "Grand" version of the tour and add the posted prices of admission to those individual sites the sum is actually LESS than the price of the "Royal" or "Majestic" tour, which doesn't make sense.....I must be missing something....

Edited: 25 February 2014, 18:05
edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

I think that the Majestic tour ticket will only give you a 10% discount for the Royal Yacht Britannia (entry price £12.75) but it does not appear to give discounts on either Holyrood Palace or Edinburgh Castle.

The best buy if you wish to do the full Royal Tour is buying the Royal Edinburgh Ticket as that includes all admission costs to the Castle, Palace and Britannia as that means overall your 2 day bus tour ticket is significantly reduced. There are even some companies offering these tickets in advance at discounted rates so you may wish to look into that.

Both tickets also offer further discounts at specified shops, walking tours etc.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,055 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

Do you actually want the HoHo bus? Is it a commentary you want?

Otherwise it is only £3.50 or £4 for a full day on the ordinary double deckers with great views. Very easy to get to all 3 places. In fact I would have thought it easier as there are more of the ordinary buses so more frequent.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
560 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

I've never been to Edinburgh....Do you think the commentary would offer nothing of value? Your point is well-taken. We'll discuss just taking the double decker bus around town.

Thanks.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
560 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

@Meks: When I added the cost of the individual sites to the cost of the "Grand" ticket, it was less expensive than the "Royal" ticket. The Royal ticket includes the admission to those sites, but does not appear to save you any money doing so.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

The Grand tickets are £17 for a day or £20 for the 2 days and you get a 10% discount for Britannia (saving £1.25) add the cost of entry to Britannia, Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle is £39 (including the discount so that takes you to £59.

The cost of the Royal Edinburgh Ticket is £45 so that saves you £14 overall.

The information provided by the guides / bus operators is good so basically you get the full tours for 2 days for about £4 which is less than the two days costs for using public transport

9. Re: HOHO bus Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17