We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

We have 6 nights to do with what we please in or near Scotland in August. We plan to fly to Edinburgh, but have been told that 6 nights is too long to just spend there. Therefore, we were considering 2-3 nights in Edinburgh and traveling elsewhere for the additional 3-4 nights.

Things we have considered are a couple of nights somewhere outside of Edinburgh with nice accommodations. We even talked about flying to Dublin for a couple of nights. Nothing is off the table and we are looking for suggestions. We have never been to Scotland or Ireland, so it would all be new to us. We will hire a car if needed. Our only limitation is that we need to be at London Heathrow by around 9AM on the morning after our 6th night, so we need to finish our travels close to an airport where we can get an early flight.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

If you are really interested in Edinburgh, there's enough to keep you busy 6 days or longer ... but I understand the temptation to fly the coop.

I'm no ireland expert, maybe you should post on an appropriate group for that, so I'll give you a few initial thoughts.

The first one is, I don;t know what your interests are, and that makes advice difficult.

The second one is that Edinburgh hosts multiple festivals in August, and hotel prices climb rapidly. Some will be full. But in August especially there will be things to keep you busy pretty much 24 hours a day. This is your starting off point. http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/

The third is budget. I can easily spend lots of money for you: all I need to do is recommend hotels like the Balmoral or the Caledonian.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

As Derek points out August is incredibly busy in Edinburgh so if you haven't sorted out accommodation you will need to do so now. It may already be too late to get what you want.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

Hello jeffg600

Perhaps consider spending 3 days in Glasgow plenty do and see there to keep you busy for 3 days, great bars, food and nightlife some fantastic scenery and world class museums if that interests you. Its only a short train ride away too so easily accessible.

Just spent a few days there and it was great can only imagine it being even better in the warmer months.

Additionally flight connections home are easy too so if you buy an open jaw ticket you can fly into Edinburgh and out of Glasgow.

Best

SEBESZ

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

Two weeks in Edinburgh and you might see and do everything. Six days is nothing, so much to see and do and you can use Edinburgh as a base for day trips, to say, Stirling, St Andrews, or a trip to the Highlands.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

Hi.

As usual Derek has given spot on guidance. We need to know budget and likes/interests.

Plenty of people visit Edinburgh for 6 days or more during the festivals, there is soooo much to see and do. A lot of the usual tourist attractions will be swamped with visitors, and simple walking around takes triple the time due to the crowds.

As others have said, book accommodation NOW. Have a look at the festival websites and decide if you want to spend longer in Edinburgh.

For your 3-4 days away from the city, you could go anywhere, but I wouldn't try to stretch yourselves too far. For example, if you wanted to press as far as Skye, you would forgo a lot of your trip for travelling. Spots like St Andrews, Loch Lomond and Pitlochry/Dunkeld are more achievable.

The undiscovered Scotland website is a good source for info.

Abs :)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

6 Days to long? Maybe 6 months, but 6 days is like sticking your wee toe in the water just to find if it is OK. Hotel accommodation is your priority RIGHT NOW as i know a number of hotels are already fully booked for August. Once you have got that settled then tell us your interests an we will give you our suggestions of things to see and do.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

If you have to end your trip at LHR, why not spend three days in Edinburgh, then pick up a hire car and have a leisurely drive south, overnighting at (say) Durham, and York. Both nice cities with plenty to see and do, and with great countryside around. The head for LHR, drop the car off and stay in an airport hotel.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

I've lived here more than 6 years and I've still not covered all the major tourist attractions!! I would be tempted to stay in Edinburgh and maybe do a night or two somewhere nearby that you can access by train - Glasgow is an option (once the Commonwealth Games finish - you won't get a hotel during them!!) or somewhere more rural like Pitlochry or even Aviemore if you want to see some of the outdoors.

The first flights from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Heathrow usually depart around 6:30am, arriving about 8am so you might be ok to catch your connection but it would be best to book as one flight to your end destination if you can. The mornings flights Mon-Fri can be very expensive as they are predominantly used by business travelers so book those in advance too (I've paid nearly £500 for a day trip return Edinburgh to Heathrow before now!!).

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

Thank you everyone for all of the very useful information. I am going to explore all of the options mentioned. Is there one particular time in August when the city and festivals are "busiest" or is it basically the whole month? I have already noticed that accommodations are fairly expensive.

Also, would you recommend that a tourist from the US who has never been to Scotland come to visit during the festivals, or might that be a better trip for another time of year?

cambs
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for 6 nights in Scotland

the best thing about Scotland is the wonderful scenery

I'd spend a couple of days in Edinburgh then hire a car and get north as quickly as possible - cross forth road bridg and pick up A9 via Perth and Pitlochry to Inverness

NOW the scenery gets seriously good

head out of Inverness towards Ullapool but soon turn south via Achnasheen and Kinlocewe to Torridon

On past Shieldaig, then turn of and take the coast route to Applecross

Over the pass-of-the-cattle and on rounf Loch Carron to Plocton and Kyle of Lochalsh

Now turn east past Eileen Donan castle and continue to pick up the A82 to Fort William

On past Ballachulish and Glencoe to Crianlarich and Loch Lomond

Finally leave A82 to cross Erskine bridge and on to Glasgow Airport from where fly south