We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

My husband (38 y/o) and I (32 y/o) will be traveling to London, Edinburgh and Dublin for 17 days in the last week of March through early April. In London, we will be staying with family members in Gillingham Kent so we will be taking the train back and forth to London and driving to Bath and Stonehenge. In Edinburgh, we will be staying at Jury's Inn next to Waverly Train station and in Dublin, we will be staying at Blooms Hotel in the Temple Bar area. We will not have a car in Dublin.

We are also thinking of doing a day trip to Brussels from London. We are not sure if this is worth a day trip OR save it for another European vacation.

We need your help and suggestions with our itinerary. Many many thanks! :)

Here's what our itinerary looks like:

Day 1: Flight from US to London - Arrive London

Day 2: Arrive London - get settled and rest due to jet lag

Day 3: Bath and Stonehenge

Day 4: London

Day 5: Windsor

Day 6: London

Day 7: Edinburgh

Day 8: Edinburgh and the countryside (Stirling Castle and Whiskey Tour)

Day 9: Flight back to London early @ 6:00AM; for the rest of the day, just hang out in London

Day 10: Cambridge

Day 11: Day Trip to Brussels

Day 12: Flight to Dublin from London early @ 8:00am/ hang out in Dublin for the rest of the day

Day 13: Dublin

Day 14: Day Trip to Galway from Dublin

Day 15: Day Trip to Belfast from Dublin

Day 16: Glendadough/Mt. Wicklow

Day 17: Flight from Dublin back to US (early 6am flight)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

Having learnt this from an message on here a week or so ago I believe this is the closest distillery to Edinburgh so shouldn't take up too much of your precious time: www.discovering-distilleries.com/glenkinchie/

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

Erm, why did you want advice on an itinerary if it's fixed already?

Restaurants in Edinburgh - try the Witchery - lots of atmosphere and good locally-sourced food. Ask in the Edinburgh forum for other suggestions.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

Oops - this is the Edinburgh forum! - my bad

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

>>>Erm, why did you want advice on an itinerary if it's fixed already?<<<

I was wondering the same thing. The OP has also posted the same thing elsewhere. which could lead to duplicate threads running.

Anyway, as the itinerary, at least in regard to the Edinburgh side trip, has already been decided on, perhaps this thread should focus on what to do and where to eat? Although the where to go may already be largely decided too!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

I guess I wasn't really clear - we haven't booked our flight from London to Edinburgh YET - we have only looked at the flight times (and we know we are flying out of Gatwick because it's closer to my cousins house) and those were the times we are considering after reading your responses that Edinburgh should be a little longer (which is why we are now thinking of a later flight - not much addition to the time but it's something). I was trying to see if there is still something that I can change (i.e., cancel day trip to Brussels, longer stays in Edinburgh or adjust our London stay) that's why I posted. Perhaps my headline or post was misleading.

I posted the same thing to the Edinburgh, London and Dublin forums since we're going to these places. It's my first time posting on the forum so I don't know if there are "norms" or "rules" that I need to follow to avoid double posting or if I should only post to the one forum etc. Please advise.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

I guess it doesn't really help if you post or start a thread at 1am!!!. LOL!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

You can also fly to Edinburgh from London City Airport or Southend, both of which are as close or closer than Gatwick. London City is only an hour by train from Gillingham, saving your cousin a 2-hour drive twice.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

Thanks PoolLounger for the info (and for your patience!) I'm still trying to learn my geography around UK. LOL!

19. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23