We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel Overall?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel Overall?

Hello All

Will be visiting Edinburgh in September for 3 days with my wife mother-in-law and mom.

After doing some research here on TA I have narrowed our choices down to The Howard, The Balmoral or the Caledonian.

My questions are:

1) Which is better located as to attractions, dining and ease of touring or is it really a moot issue

2) Any specific pro's or con's with either properties e.g. (one may be geared toward a younger crowd or one may have a construction project around it)

Some back ground the older ladies are all in great health with the exception of one with poor knees so stairs up and down in a hotel may be an issue.

Myself and my wife are very easy going travelers but my mom & MIL are at the age where they can sometimes be demanding both are wonderful people, but definitely expect the best accommodations (and you know I agree they deserves it ....two of my favorite ladies).

I would certainly appreciate any insight that any of you would be able to provide as to above.

I thank all of you in advance for your thoughts and input.

Best

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
4,104 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Howard
The Howard
823 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Personal Tours of Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Gray Line Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Timberbush Tours Edinburgh - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

What made you select those 3?

Knowing that would enable others to say why they would be good/bad for your party.....

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

HEY Thanks a whole bunch there, huge help.

But after reading your other deeply cerebral and well thought out response in post #1 of this thread I believe I will let the rest of the TA community help guide us along . tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k7239…

Best

SEBESZ

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

Sebesz,

Hi!

Peterscot is a helpful regular here on the forums, and I wouldn't let his occasional dry humour out you off. His question to you is a good one!

There are a huge number of 'good' hotels in central Edinburgh, and it would helpful to know what swung you away from others, such as Missoni, Scotsman, Sheraton, George etc...

The Balmoral is in an iconic location, and dominates the east end of Princes St. Ask for a room with a castle view and wow! The Number One restaurant is in the lower level - it is Michelin-starred and amazing! I recently went to the bar in the balmoral too - amazing cocktails, including a cocktail tasting menu. The afternoon tea is special too.

As for the Hilton (sorry, the Waldorf Astoria), it dominates the opposite end of Princes St. Again, ask for a castle view room. I've never slept there, but the function faculties, bar and restaurant were of high quality.

The Howard is in new town, in a more discrete location, and requires a significant up hill walk to the main attractions. I haven't been to it myself, so can't really comment more than that.

Generally speaking Edinburgh is very compact and walkable, with an excellent bus service. The Balmoral perhaps requires the fewest uphill steps to the royal mile, but otherwise I think it's quite difficult to choose between it and the Waldorf Astoria.

Generally speaking Edinburgh is a 3D city and there is a fair amount of up and down hill walking between the main attractions.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your planning.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
4,104 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Howard
The Howard
823 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Scotsman Hotel
The Scotsman Hotel
2,652 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

Thanks Abs

And I hear what you are saying so ok.

I arrived at my selections by researching here on TA for luxury 5 star hotels and then I cross referenced that list with the Conde Nast traveler and Frommer logs book, leaving me with 14 choices After that I did another cross reference using all available newspaper and periodical sources on the net such as the The Telegraph, The Guardian and Time Out Edinburgh. After narrowing down that list I then further to 7 properties I plugged in the amenities that were required using both strata's hard good furnishings and perishable amenities as well as leisure and artistic influence and design that run through each hotel. Finally I sent personal letters to each hotel's general manager and their head concierge at the various hotels with a set of questions I wanted to have answered. After their replies I then narrowed the list down again based upon the various answers to my queries using a more personal gauge than say a concrete formula arriving at the 3 hotels I have since narrowed it down too.

Hope that helps to understand how I arrived at these 3 properties.

Thank you for your input and suggestions

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

Hi. Wow! That is quite some research, I'm impressed! I don't have any more epiphanious insights, but just wanted to say that I'm sure after that degree of research, you'll be happy with any of your top 3!

Wherever you stay, I would recommend having a meal at Number One, old school Scottish decadence in a sumptuous dining room. The tasting menu is truly a special experience.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant
The Scottish Cafe...
743 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

I am just trying to work out which posts are ironic and which ones are sarcastic! Abs - I think the OP was being sarky but not sure from your post if you thought that too! I thought your earlier reply was really helpful and detailed.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

As you have done all that research yourself you will know exactly which of the three hotels is the most suited to your needs.

From what you have written I would suggest your Mother and MIL stay at the Balmoral and you and your wife at the Caledonian (Waldorf)

A pleasant walk along Princes St for either party to reach the other so that you can contrast and compare when you meet up.

Mentioned in this post
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
4,104 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

Oh yes I do so agree Abs140's information was concise well thought out and very helpful.

I was just trying to bring into specific relief how I came to arrive at the choices of hotels that I did

Again thanks Abs140 for your input and suggestions

Best

SEBESZ

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

I would add the Knight Residence to the mix. Luxury Serviced Flats just at the back of the Castle and the best Concierge Service we had ever experienced. We have stayed in Edinburgh many times and could easily stay at a 5 Star Hotel if we wished, but we much prefer the 5 Star Knight Residence. I think a lot of your countrymen feel the same.

.http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186525-d191451-Reviews-The_Knight_Residence-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

Mentioned in this post
The Knight Residence by Mansley
The Knight Residence by...
1,372 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Airth Castle & Hotel
Airth Castle & Hotel
2,172 Reviews
Airth, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel Overall?

Thank you so very much Williamnt

Is there a specific reason you do not recommend the The Howard as opposed to the other two properties.

Unfortunately I have not done all the research myself, which is why I am here to get word of mouth straight forward input from travelers, locals and experts on the city of Edinburgh.

Thanks for your help

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
The Howard
The Howard
823 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
City of Edinburgh Tours
City of Edinburgh Tours
418 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK