We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

Hello! My Mom and I are going to be in Edinburgh for 2.5 days in May. We have reserved a room at the Marriott Glass House using points. Is this hotel located where we can walk to most places?

We were thinking about doing a day or half day trip to either Stirling or St. Andrews? Or would it be possible to do both in one day? We would prefer to use public transportation, but if driving would allow us to do both I would be open to that as well.

What is the best time to visit Edinburgh castle? Also, I saw on one of the sites that it is nice to watch the sunrise at Arthur's seat. Is that the best time to go up there and how difficult is the climb?

Any other advice would be great!

Thanks!!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

On the 1st May it is traditional to climb to the top of Arthurs Seat and wash you face in the dew and watch the sun rise and you will look beautiful all your life. I have done it a number of times, being modest I will leave others to say if it works. There are hard ways and relatively easy ways to the top. Easy way is to walk round Queens Drive to Dunsapie Loch and then take the path to the top. Hard way is from Holyrood and go straight up

Stirling and St Andews in one day by car is possible but you are not going to have much time to see much.

A good trip by car would be Linlithgow Palace, Falkirk Wheel, 'The Kelpies' and Stirling Castle.

Edinburgh Castle in May weekday is not going to be over busy so whatever times suites, but they fire the 0ne o'clock gun every day so you might want to watch all the people on Princes Street below looking at their wrists. St Andrew's by public transport direct by bus from Edinburgh or Train most of the way then a short bus journey or go bus one way to admire the railway bridge over the forth and Bus & train on th return journey to admire the Road bridge. Your hotel is fairly central beside the Playhouse Theatre & Omni centre 2 minutes walk from Princes Street & 5-10 minutes walk from the Royal Mile, 15-20 minutes walk from the Castle.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

I wish we there for the first but won't be coming in until later in the month. That sounds fun though! Thanks for the suggestion for the easy way up to Arthur's seat. We will probably go that route.

For Stirling/St. Andrews- I think I found a way using the trains and a taxi. Do you think this would work? Take 8:33am train to Stirling spend a few hours then take the train to Leuchars and try to be there by 2pm then spend the evening and have dinner in St. Andrew's before taking the 9pm train back to Edinburgh. I know it's not much time to see either place, but I'd like to at least see them. There is so much I want to see and just wish I had more time!

That is great to know about the hotel. I was worried it would not be a great spot. Thank you for all of your very helpful information!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

Your Stirling / St Andrews trip is fine and coming back late to Edinburgh will give you a reasonable time in

St Andrews and as you have no doubt worked out your hotel is under five minutes walk from the Waverley Railway station. Mid May-Mid June is generally the best weather in central/ east Scotland with almost 18 hrs daylight and daytime temp around 65f and very little rain, but do beware we can have four seasons in four hours anytime of year so pack a light weight waterproof 'Just in case'. Have wonderful trip

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

Realistically, you have 1 1/2's in Edinburgh. Going to Stirling and then St.Andrews in one day will tick the "have visited" box but rushing around just to see places will not be enjoyable. It's a holiday not a timetable.

It would take weeks to see everything in Edinburgh and if I were you I would stay put and see just a small portion of what Edinburgh has to offer.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 10:13
5. Re: 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21