We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

After breakfast today I'm heading down the A1 to Stamford. Is it faster to take the A1 all the way from Edinburgh or take the A68 and pick up the A1 in northern England? Speedy responses would be much appreciated as AA and RAC route planners' opinions diverge. Thank you for your advice.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
360 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

I used to work in N Yorkshire and commute weekly from Edinburgh for 2 years. The A68/697 was the quickest, had least traffic and was the most pleasant to drive

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

Thanks for your guidance everyone. As I said, we took the A1 because the weather was so bad, heavy rain and intermittent mist to Newcastle but then the skies cleared. It was a very smooth, fast journey with no hold ups and we could safely travel at around 60mph despite the rain.

The downside, and no doubt every holidaymaker's nightmare, was returning home to discover a major leak in the airing cupboard with extensive water damage in two rooms. Excuse me if you heard the swearing.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

Come to think of it ... I'm heading up again soon, and I'm thinking of taking the A696 up through Wooler and Coldstream, just for a change. Never done it that way before. Can anyone think of any reason not to?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

D'oh! I meant the A697. Obviously. (To anyone who knows the area.)

15. Re: A1 or A68 - which route is faster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16