We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

My husband and I will be spending 4 days in Edinburgh in May and I am wanting to spend 2 of those days in Edinburgh and then am thinking about either going on a day tour using either Rabbie's or Heart of Scotland.

I am just trying to think if it would be better if we rented our own car and tried seeing some of the countryside or just go on a tour,what is recommended? Both my husband and I can drive a manual vehicle, I am 26 and he is 23 so I am not sure if he could drive the rented vehicle or if it would just be me.

Also, when looking at renting car is there all sort of hidden fees and such? I know when we were looking into renting a car in Ireland it was going to be a lot more than you originally thought so I wasn't sure if Scotland was similar.

If we were to do our own day trips where are some recommended place to drive to that are fairly easy to get to and are a nice drive? I was thinking Glencoe would be lovely, but I am not sure if that would be a decent drive or not.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
733 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

Given the limited amount of time you have, don't waste any of it (or the money) with the hassle of picking up and car and returning it. Go for a day tour instead, especially if you can wait to book it knowing the weather.

Consider coming out to North Berwick or Sterling by train for the day.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 14:08
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

I've used Andy from www.edinburghcabtours.com and highly recommend him to you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

Is that 4 days including your arrival and departure days? How are you arriving in & leaving Edinburgh? What are your plans before & after Edinburgh?

I ask because there might be better ways to use your time which would allow you to see everything

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

We will be coming from Dublin to Edinburgh and that does not include our arrival day,but our departure day,we will be flying down to London,but our plane doesn't leave until 6.20 or so.

JFE
California
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

We were there 3 weeks ago and took day tours of the Highlands/Glencoe/ Loch Ness with Rabbie's Tours and Stirling And Loch Lomond. Either one will be a very nice tour to see the countryside. On another day, we walked to Edinburgh bus station & bought a bus ticket for £10 per person for the whole day (Fife day rider plus) and rode a nice coach to St Andrews. We spent 4 hours in St Andrews visiting the Old Course, Ruins of palace & cathedral & just walked around. We later took another bus to Anstruther, had a late lunch, walked around & took a return coach back to Edinburgh. This allowed us to see some fishing village along the Fife coastal. Our first time in Scotland so we enjoyed the different sceneries with someone else driving.

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

I think we will probably forego driving in Scotland this time since we don't have as much time.

JFE- if you had to recommend one day tour over the other out of the two you went on which would you recommend? We will probably be able to do only one of those day tours through Rabbie's and I am trying to decide which to do...

JFE
California
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

We only had a few days in Scotland and the Highlands/Glencoe/Loch Ness/Pitlochry tour gave us a good feel of the Highlands and Scotland in a day.

8. Re: Renting a car for day trips or bus tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16