We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Hello All,

I'm coming to Edinburgh for work from 4/28 to 5/2. I should have two afternoons free on Wed and Thurs. I will not have mornings free cause of work.

I'd LOVE to get out to the countryside somehow but know time is limited. A distillery, the coast, a quaint fishing village, etc. I will not have a car.

Pretty much every tour that gets out of the city that I see starts in the morning which leaves me very limited.

Any tour ideas? I'm not picky, just want to get out of the city and experience some Scottish country scenery.

Thank you.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Take the train to North Berwick. It takes about half an hour. Lovely wee seaside town with Tantallon Castle nearby

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Visit the bridges. North or South Queensferry. 20 minutes in the train. Some nice walks around South Queensferry to clear the head.

I like this one. You dont need to tdo the full walk obviously.

www.dalmeny.co.uk/estate/shore_walk.htm

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
553 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Dundee may not be high up on the tourist trail but for an afternoon trip from Edinburgh that takes around 1 hr 15 you cross the Forth Rail Bridge and the Tay Rail Bridge to Dundee.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/queensferry/…

Over the road from the station you have the Discovery Point and Captain Scott's ship RRS Discovery

www.rrsdiscovery.com/index.php?pageID=151

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186518-…

If that doesn’t interest how about a train again over the Forth Bridge to Leuchars then a bus to St Andrews

scotrail.co.uk/content/combined-rail-bus-tic…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

North Berwick was my thought too. Or Roslyn chapel can be reacted by Lothian (local) buses if it interests you. Or you could walk up Arrgurs Seat or along Water of Leith for a nature kick inside the city.

Abs :)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

If you are doing North Berwick, Tantallon Castle, Gifford, Haddington, Hailes Castle you also have the opportunity to visit Glenkinchie Distillery at Pencaitland which produces are rather nice Lowland Malt whisky.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

The only local distillery [apart from inustrial units in town] is Glenkinchie, in the countryside beyond Pencaitland. This is awkward to get to without a car.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 13:54
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

I was going to say North Berwick too! It is lovely. You don't need a tour. Just get on a train.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Thanks everyone! I think North Berwick it is. I did get a private tour quote to go there and visit Glenkinchie as well. It's a little expensive though so not sure if it's worth it to have the local guide and pay more vs. do it myself and miss out on a lot perspective/history/story.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

You'll love North Berwick - here's a guide to the town www.north-berwick.co.uk/home.asp if you are feeling energetic then walk up Berwick Law - the views are wonderful.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any good afternoon tours to countryside?

Thanks all!

If I take the train to North Berwick, is everything walkable?

If I were to just train it there, what exactly would you all recommend I do?

Can I walk to Glenkinchie Distillery from there?

Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure my time is well spent!

Thanks