We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on Victoria Day

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
319 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving on Victoria Day

Planning a trip to the UK in 2015. With the way my itinerary is set at this point we will be arriving in Edinburgh by train from London on Monday, May 18th. It seems this day is Victoria Day in Edinburgh. Should this cause any problems for us, and/or with the train service? Thank you!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
879 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

I live in the UK and have never heard of Victoria day! Unless its a bank holiday in Scotland and not England,which I doubt, there shouldn't be any impact.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,598 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

I'm Scottish, grew up in Stirling and have never heard of Victoria day. I actually had to look it up and it's a very local holiday. Seems the local schools get the day off and council offices are shut. Otherwise I should imagine it will be more or less business as usual especially on the train network.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,497 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

Actually the council offices will be open, just the schools are shut

edinburgh.gov.uk/info/…3

The only effect will be more children than usual on a Monday mooching about the shops

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

What a quaint Scottish tradition to celebrate Mr Browns 'Lover' and give the children a day off school

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
319 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

Thanks for the replies everyone. I saw this is an Edinburgh-specific holiday and wasn't sure how big of a deal it is there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

Victoria Day is a genuine holiday in Edinburgh. Many local businesses and charities give it as a day off to their staff and Edinburgh University is closed as well. One thing that people in the rest of the UK don't realise is that the English bank holidays are observed by banks in Scotland but are not necessarily public holidays. The only Scotland-wide public holidays are 1-2 January and 25-26 December. The rest are down to local discretion.

The buses may run a weekend schedule (but probably not). As the trains cross local authority boundaries, they will run a normal weekday schedule.

As a tourist, you may notice some shops closing, but most will probably be open. All tourist attractions should be open as normal.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

I can assure you Edinburgh University is not closed ,I work for them and the only public holidays the university takes are 25th December and Boxing day plus the 1st and 2nd January.

Victoria day may have been celebrated many years ago but really is a forgotten holiday and is taken by so few locals as to make no difference.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 13:49
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
319 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

Okay, as long as we can get into town and to our hotel without trouble that is my main concern satisfied. Even if all the indoor tourist attractions were to be closed we would just visit them the next day. :) Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

I stand corrected. It looks like 2009 was the last time the university closed for Victoria Day (so not "many years ago").

In the late 90s/early 2000s, they had a 4-day weekend for Victoria Day, which was when the newly elected sabbaticals went away to get hideously drunk and fall out with one another...I mean do team building exercises. It was legendary ;)

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving on Victoria Day

In the 60/70s Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland and everyone had to go to work!