We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Please help.

I'm traveling to Dublin from the USA and have the dimensions for my checked in bag for that leg of the flight...62 inches and wt. 32 kg.

I was surprised to read about the difference in cabin baggage from this flight to the next leg which is regional. I am looking for a carry on that is 18" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Searching further I have found weight requirements for regional flights check in baggage but not dimensions. I need that information. They specify bags as small, medium, large and extra large for regional flights but these terms vary from USA to UK so I need a size in inches.

As they are so particular on size and wt for cabin baggage and I understand these are smaller aircraft I would like to know where on their site I can find the dimensions for regional checked in baggage.

Also for anyone flying there, please note the price for online, regional check in baggage changes after May 30th.

Thanks in advance...

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

You may get better info on the Ireland forum, or the Air Travel forum or Aer Lingus' website. Sorry to point out the obvious.

Safe journeys

Sunny

Edited: 11 April 2014, 03:00
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

This is the info I copied (and translated) from Aer Lingus' site last year when we flew Paris to Dublin:

Checked bag must be under 44 lbs

Cabin baggage for Aer Lingus:

55cm high = 22 inches

40cm wide = 16 inches

24cm deep = 10 inches

also can carry on small handbag/satchel 10x13x8 and a food bag.

Several people did bring illegally large bags onto the plane (what would be standard rolling carryon for an international flight) but obviously the plane doesn't have room for everyone to do that. But you could always try it and see how it goes... (it is more expensive at that point though to pay to check it)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

The sizes are readily available on their website

aerlingus.com/travelinformation/…

So

Max weight 7kg (15lb)

max size of 48cm H (18.5") x 33cm W (13") x 20cm D (8")

The sizes above (post #2) are for normal flights in A320's not Aer lIngus Regional who operate ATR72 turboprops. There simply would not be room for large bags in the overhead of these planes.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 05:01
CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Thanks Sunny. The Aer Lingus site gives me requirements by weight not dimensions.

CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Hi Ronald. The sizes are unfortunately not readily available or I wouldn't have posted this question.

you have quoted dimensions for cabin/carry on baggage.

I need dimensions for check in baggage on regional flights.

Weight is posted but not dimensions.

CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Thanks zhoffritz. I got the same info for my international flight...as yours was.

Requirements change and shrink for regional flights and weight is posted on the Aer Lingus site but not dimensions.

Guess I'll call them.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Sorry I misread your post. I don't think that they have specific dimensions for checked bags and if you are coming from a US flight they will honour your transatlantic allowance. They are more worried about weight than dimensions unless you are carrying some really oversized bags.

If your luggage is fairly normal then you will be ok. The small, medium and large bags on their website are just for illustration purposes not that they have to be of a certain size dimension wise.

CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Hi zhoffritz:

Thanks for your reply again.

I just called Aer Lingus and amazingly enough did not have to wait forever to talk with someone.

The answer is check in baggage cab on regional flights can measure 62 inches all around and as long as it weighs according to their chart online it will be charged accordingly. The airline rep mentioned 44 lbs too.

One has to know this stuff because every airline has different specs these days.

CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

Thanks Ronald. You are so right. They do not have specs for dimension for checked in baggage on regional flights. They say it is the weight they'll go by and charge by.

I had to have all the info so I can book my luggage online by May (for a flight in September) to save on the charge.

I guess I'll have to be very sure what to take by then!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dimensions for Regional Aer Lingus flights checked baggage.

I'm glad you got your info, sorry I too misread the question. Now the info is on here for the next person who needs it!