We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

New Britain...
4 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

I seem to recall that there was a small restaurant named Cousteau's located in a alleyway near the George Inter-Continental Hotel on 19-21 George Street. Could anyone tell me if that restaurant is still in business and if so what is the restaurant's address?

Thanks

Dave

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Cousteau's is no longer in business. The address was Hill St North Lane (according to Google!)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Oh, that is going back a bit. Was it not on Hill Street? Perhaps the western section of Thistle Street. Long gone I think. Unless somebody can correct me?

New Britain...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Yes this is going back to the mid 90's and the last I recalled the restaurant was still in operation back in 2001.

I do not recall the name of the street. All I know is that when I walked out of the George Hotel which was known at that time as the George Inter-Continental Hotel, I would take a right and then the first right after that. Then I would walk down the street and Cousteau's was on the right hand side in an alleyway. The restaurant which had only 6 tables did not even have a sign. It was referred to me by the concierge at the hotel.

This restaurant had excellent food particularly it's salmon.

My reason for my wanting to know if Cousteau's was still in business is because I plan on returning to Edinburgh in June and I wanted to have a dinner at the restaurant.

It is a shame that the restaurant is no longer in business.

Thanks for your post.

Dave

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

True. Gone but not forgotten. I took my father there for a special meal and he raved about it for weeks.

New Britain...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

I see that I am not the only one who found this restaurant so special. Your dad does have good taste :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Hi, when we stay at the George we always have dinner at Ricks in Frederick street, which is just a few minutes walk from the hotel.

www.ricksedinburgh.co.uk/ricks-restaurant/

New Britain...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Thanks for the info. I will have to check that out when I am in Edinburgh this June.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

Hi - Cousteaus was at 109 Hanover St just round from the George Hotel before it moved to Hill St Lane .

9. Re: Restaurant near George Street, Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:19