We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car at Edinburgh

mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car at Edinburgh

I have gone through the various forums on this subject and what I have gathered is that its best to pick up a car at the airport..one, since there are many options you can choose from and two, its easier to drive out of Edinburgh from the airport than traverse the city.

We are a family of 4 travelling to Edinburgh from London end May. Plan is to arrive at Waverly bus station by the Megabus from London and then rent a car for our onward journey to the Isle of Skye for a three day trip..returning the car after three days at Edinburgh.

Could someone please tell me

1) how I can get to the airport from Waverly coach station?

2) What would the fare be?

3) since it will be 4 of us travelling (3 adults and 1 Child) will it be cheaper to hire a taxi?

4) I read in one of the forums that one has to pay an airport surcharge just to enter the area where the rental company booths are. Is that true?

any pointers, tips and suggestions in regard to my query will be of great help. Thx!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

I think you mean Edinburgh Bus Station, Waverley is a Railway Station.

Taxi or the Airlink 100 bus are the most convenient ways. A taxi would cost about £23 ish depending on the time of day. There is a taxi rank just outside the bus station at the end of the escalator.

The Airlink 100 bus departs from Waverley Bridge about a 7 minute walk from the bus station. http://lothianbuses.com/services/airlink Cost would be 3 x £4.00 and 1 x £2.00 = £14.00

The taxi driver will charge you a surcharge of £1.00 to drop you off at the inner passenger drop off point, not the car rental point, at the airport, the driver will put it on the meter when you start the journey. The driver has to pay £1.00 to exit the drop off zone. There is an outer drop off zone which is free to drop off at and the driver will not charge you. After that you have to get a free bus to the terminal building, takes about 5 minutes or so.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 18:55
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Just out of interest, what time do you arrive in Edinburgh, and where are you spending that night.?

I'm worried you underestimate how long it takes to rent a car and drive to Skye. It's not a road to rush...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Sorry, I should have made it clear that since you are not going to the actual terminal building the surcharge should not apply to you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,910 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Hertz have an office at Picardy Place just across the road from the bus station.

mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Thank you everyone for your prompt and very helpful replies. I guess I will chk out the tariff at Hertz and then decide if I need to go to the airport at all. I guess the cheapest way to get there from your pointers is by bus.

Peterscot, we are planning to come to Edinburgh on the night bus from London arriving at 7.30 am. After freshening up at the bus station itself we plan to leave Edinburgh by about 10.30am ( after renting the car) and plan to arrive at Isle of Skye by late evening...keeping in mind the one way/ narrow roads and also taking in the sights along the way if possible. From the various forums, I understand that the driving time to Isle Of Skye is about 6 hrs. Even if we shud leave by noon, we shud reach our destination by 6 pm. Do you think thats a decent estimate or am I overlooking something?

Reetzy

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,910 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Supposedly the new tram link will be open sometime in May so perhaps you can be one of the first to use that to get to the airport. The tram stops right by the car rental centre so might be even easier than the bus or taxi.

http://www.edinburghtrams.com/using-the-tram

I might be talking through a hole in my head (or other part of my anatomy) but you list your home as Mumbai. Never been but it does seem crazy driving there so you might find driving in Edinburgh pretty tame.

You should be able to make Skye by 1800 but won't you be extremely tired after a long bus ride with possibly little sleep?

mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

RonaldoC, you are so right....the traffic is going to seem tame in comparison..though mumbai is one of the few cities in India that boasts of orderly traffic...but we in India drive on the same side of the road as the UK ( the old Raj legacy)..so that will not be a problem. My husband and I will take turns driving so fatigue shud not be a problem.

Will have a look at the link you have given and if that works out it will be great. Thank once again!

Reetzy

mumbai
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Hello everyone...just got back from my trip to Scotland and wanted to thank you all for your tips and pointers regarding car rentals in Edinburgh...we took your advise and rented a car from the airport. We took the bus as you suggested and everything work out just fine...the tram service started a few days later! Thank you once again.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

Dear Reetzy,

I myself am from Mumbai and planning a trip similar to yours in the first week of September with my husband. I will be reaching Edinburgh on 6th Sep. I too am planning a 3 days trip to Isle of Skye from 7th Sep and return to Edinburgh.

Can you please let me know from which car rental you hired the car and a brief itinerary of your 3 day trip to Skye including accommodation.

I am looking into car rental but am confused as to which one to pick.

Thanks in advance

Sapna

10. Re: Hiring a car at Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15