We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches from Edinburgh

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches from Edinburgh

Hi all!

Myself and my partner (both late twenties) are visiting Edinburgh for Festival Fringe in August. We are staying at Morton Hall camping site on the outskirts, and although we've been to Edinburgh several times before (my fave city in the world), for the first time we will have a car!

In perhaps misguided optimism I'm thinking it might be nice and sunny while we are there. Hey, I did go in July once and it was roasting so it can happen! So, now we have a car, I was wondering if there's any nice beaches nearby we can visit to chill on? Don't really mind driving up to an hour or so to reach one. Preferabley somewhere pretty that also has loos and a cafe etc, nothing too remote. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

If anyone has any other suggestions of trips in the surrounding areas too that would be great. More looking for attractions than walks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

North Berwick might fit the bill for a beach.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Hi.

You get bonus points for calling it "Festival fringe"...!

I like portobello for its British seaside quaintness. Plenty of parking in the streets that adjoin the beach, and the classic activities of fish shops, amusement arcades and a lovey promenade. I also like north Berwick. There may be more picturesque beaches and remote spots, but on random sunny days off I would always find myself drifting towards portobello or North Berwick.

Abs :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Head east from Edinburgh towards North Berwick. Gullane beach is fantastic with lovely soft golden sand. A little further on, at the village of Dirleton is Yellowcraig beach. North Berwick itself has two good beaches.

But, if you fancy something a little different, head a couple of miles east, beyond North Berwick - just past Tantallon Castle is Scougall Farm. If you turn off the main road at the farmhouse and head down the farm's private road (you are allowed to use this road) you will come to a hidden gem that not many people know about. It's Seacliff beach, which is a private beach. All you have to pay is £1 for parking. It's really lovely and has some great views of Tantallon Castle and the Bass Rock. It also has Britain's smallest harbour, set among vibrant red volcanic rocks.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Hi guys, thanks for the answers! Portabello sounds lovely- we rarely get to the coast so a typical quaint seaside location would be great. I think I've passed North Berwick on the east coast trainline? If its the one I'm thinking of then it looks really nice! What's the parking like there?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,014 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

You could always head a little north to Fife. Pettycur Bay has a lovely little, normally quite quiet, beach. Not much in the way of amenities though. Or head to St. Andrews. Kinghorn is also nice.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Porty beach is quaint but far from lovely. The other beaches mentioned above beat it hands down.

Sorry Portys.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Agree that Portobello is not "lovely" and would also highly recommend North Berwick.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 17:00
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

Several options, including Portobello and Seton Sands (in both cases take bus 26 from the city centre). Personally, I prefer North Berwick - a very attractive town with a wonderful beach. Take the train from Edinburgh Waverley station to North Berwick (journey time is about 30 minutes). Do not confuse North Berwick with the wholly separate town of Berwick-upon-Tweed!

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

If you are here in early August North Berwick also hosts a special festival, Fringe by the Sea. The atmosphere by the harbor is electric with 2 performance tents and a variety of entertainments all day and evening. You can also access quieter beaches here.

http://www.fringebythesea.co.uk/

10. Re: Beaches from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17