We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Edinburgh

A N
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
2.5 days in Edinburgh

Hi,

We are arriving at Edinburgh at about 3.00 pm on a Thursday (in July) and would be leaving on Sunday morning.

We are 2 adults and a child and essentially want to visit the main tourist attractions.

I would be grateful if you could help me in these questions:

1. Is a day trip to the Highlands on a coach tour worth it, given that we have only a couple of days in Edinburgh? A lot of threads in this forum say that we would spend most time traveling.

2. Should I go for an Edinburgh pass, or are there other offers like 2 for 1, like in London. Alternately, is it better that we buy individual tickets for the attractions.

3. We have a flight from the International airport at 9.00 am on Sunday. We would have to be the airport by 6.00 am or so. We are to stay in Ibis on Southbridge Street. How much would the taxi fare cost to the airport? I understand that there are airlink buses, but not sure if that is the right thing to do, given that we have flights to take and early in the morning as well.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Photography Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

1. No absolutely not. You will struggle to fit in everything Edinburgh has to offer in the time you have. Come back again and do the Highlands.

2. Pick the attactions carefully. There are loads of free ones and lots of free stuff to do. Aside from the Castle, Brittania or Holyrood I wouldn't pay to see anything else.

3. 05.00 Sunday morning? Probably about £25. Personally i would pay for a taxi. Others mair grippit would not.

Hope this helps.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

1. absolutely not and definitely not with a child!

2. You'd need to look into the admission prices of the places you want to go and see if it could save you money. I'm not aware of any 2for1 offers unless you can find anything online. The national museum on Chambers St is free and children love it.

3. The airlink bus will be running at 5am although I'm not sure you need to leave that early. It takes around half an hour to the airport but at that time on a Sunday morning I'd say it won't even take 30minutes as there should be virtually no traffic on the roads. Is it a domestic or international flight? If it's domestic I don't even get out of bed 3hrs before for an early flight! You can probably leave town at 6am and still have plenty of time. Bus details are on here: http://lothianbuses.com/services/airlink

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,231 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

I would second the museum on Chambers Street especially if it's wet, (hope not!) The hop on, hop off bus tour is great fun especially if you sit upstairs, you get such a good view of everything you pass. On a nice day a walk up Arthur's Seat is worth the effort if you are fairly fit....the views on a good day are immense. Just stay in Edinburgh for your 2.5 days and enjoy what you can. I visit regularly and still haven't done more than scrape the surface!

Woody x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

I would take a taxi leaving at 7am, to get you to the airport for 7.30, if my flight was an international one. For a domestic one, I'd leave 30 mins later.

A N
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

Thank you folks!

A N
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

Hi, I want to thank all of you kind folks who advised me on this forum. We had a great trip to Edinburgh. Walked along the Royal mile, did a walking tour of the secrets of the Mile, went to the Britannia Yacht, to the Edinburgh Castle, the Museum and the breathtaking view of the city skyline from the Mueum terrace. Gaped at the Walter Scott monument, walked around Princes Street and blissfully soaked in the Edinburgh air. The weather was just perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.. Thanks again :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
424 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

So glad to hear your trip was a success! I will be there in March 2015 with my daughter and also have a 9 am flight (on Sat) - to London connecting to a flight to the states. How did you end up getting to the airport and what timing worked for you? Thanks!

A N
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

Hi,

We took a cab from the hotel (Ibis at the city centre) to the airport and the fare was roughly around 25 pounds, the trip took about 20-25 min in the morning (6.30 am). There are also Airlink buses ( I think 2 pounds per person) available, but we had baggage + a kid, so we took the cab option.

Enjoy your trip to Edinburgh, you will have an amazing time :)

9. Re: 2.5 days in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2015, 07:16