We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explorer pass

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Explorer pass

Hi,

I am going to Edinburg in two weeks for a busness trip and will not have much time to visit attractions but I am going to make time to visit at least Edinburg Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse.

I cannot figure out whether it is make sense or not to buy Explorer pass (for 3 days that is valid within 5 days) if I am going to visit Edinburg Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse. I cannot find what is included in that pass? Can anyone help? Did anyone use this pass? I will appreciate any info on it.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explorer pass

historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/…explorer.htm gives you a link to the list of 78 properties that the card covers. The card costs £29, Edinburgh Castle costs £16.00, so for it to be an advantage you would have to visit at least one probably two other properties.

Unfortunately The Palace of Holyroodhouse is not one of them as it is owned by The Crown so unless you see somewhere else on the list that you want to visit it probably doesn't make financial sense.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explorer pass

Thank you Alan! it looks like I will need to buy separate tickets for Edinburg Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse. I will be in Edinburg May 26-31. Do you recommend to buy tickets online to avoid lines? How busy those places in end of May?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explorer pass

Monday 26th of May is a Bank Holiday in all parts of the UK so if you are going to Edinburgh Castle that day I think I might buy online as I suspect it might be quite busy if the weather is good. Although normally the queues are not too bad.

The good news for you is that royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit The Palace of Holyroodhouse will be open when you visit. I don't think I'd bother buying online for The Palace.

Anyone think the Kleo564 should buy both tickets online?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explorer pass

Thanks again Alan!

for the palace what ticket would you recommend?

Royal Visit that give admission to The State Rooms, Palace of Holyroodhouse, The Queen's Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse and the historic gardens.

OR just the Palace of Holyroodhouse ?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explorer pass

That weekend is also the Edinburgh Marathon so there will be an invasion of runners and various road closures throughout the city over the Sat/ Sunday.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explorer pass

Thank you! it is good to know.

more and more I think that I should buy tickets online.

I will not have time to stay in line.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explorer pass

Make sure you learn how to spell Edinburgh in case you get off the plane in the wrong country.

8. Re: Explorer pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 07:15