We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Hello Folks

Finally, I managed to book us return train tickets to Edinburgh at a fairly decent price and we're staying for two nights in an apartment on the Royal Mile.

There's 4 females, one teenager (girl), two middle aged, one older.

Two of them like shopping (not me!)

One of them hasn't been to Scotland before, which is the main purpose of the weekend trip.

I was thinking of doing the open top bus, just to try and show her the city a bit more.

We all like coffee shops, eating out, sightseeing etc.

Is there anywhere that you would recommend for taking a break and having a nice lunch, coffee break etc? Are there any really nice coffee shops, that are maybe a wee bit out of the ordinary? I'm meaning different from Costa, Starbucks etc.

Are there any particular nice restaurants that you would recommend we book for in the evenings?

We're going from 23- 25th May.

Thanks again

Elaine

x

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Rather than the open top bus tour, can I recommend Andy at

www.edinburghcabtours.com

Split between the 4 of you, his orientation tour will be excellent value for money, it's informative and entertaining, and you'll get excellent advice on coffee houses, shops and restaurants from someone who knows the city inside out.

Two recommendations from me are

www.anteaques.co.uk

www.tower-restaurant.com

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Have a cocktail in the Cocktail Bar upstairs at Harvey Nicks and then have lunch in their restaurant Try and get a seat by the windows in the restaurant, there are fabulous views of the city up there.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

ah cake, now you're talking my language :-)

http://www.casaangelina.co.uk/

http://www.eteaket.co.uk/

http://www.frederickscoffeehouse.com/

I know it's a bit "normal" but on a clear day the café on the top floor of John Lewis has a great view out across the north of town and the Forth. Their cake ain't bad either!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Hi. For dinner, I have recently discovered Twenty, Princes St. Ask for a window booth. Stunning room with opulent surroundings, great views and very reasonable prices.

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

The Outsider on George IV bridge is a bit different in terms of menu and if you ask for table at the back has great views of the castle.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

You could visit the Dome on George Street; they do afternoon tea 2-5 pm. They also do lunches and evening meals. Immaculate decor - wood panels, chrome, mirrors, lights.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Hiya, I know it's a bit cheesy but I'd really recommend either a tour of Mary Kings close or a tour of the underground vaults if you have the time, We did the Niddry street ones, Both were really good and give you a different perspective of the city.

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

What about the botanic gardens? Should be looking really lovely at this time of year, and afternoon tea in the restaurant there is fun. You can take the bus from George IV bridge, number 27 or 23.

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

Thank you everyone for your replies, some great suggestions here. I'll have a good look at them all and then work out which ones are near to, or not too far from our apartment on The Royal Mile.

Much appreciated, thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So The Train Tickets Are Booked, Apartment Booked...

I can confirm the botanic gardens are looking stunning at the moment, especially in the sun! There's some good views across town and the castle - wander into Inverleith park opposite the main west gate of the botanics for the best views and to chill out with the locals (nice I've cream stall by the gate at weekends!). You can also get the no. 24 or 29 bus to Stockbridge and both are a short walk up the road. Or about 15min walk downhill from princes street.

Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh