We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

A criminal gang is operating in Edinburgh by impersonating plain clothes police officers. Be careful.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fi…

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

If anyone is approached, or you see anyone being approached immediately call the police. If they are genuine police officers they will not mind being questioned. Lets be vigilant and keep Edinburgh safe

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

Despite many areas of Scotland receiving large numbers of tourists, I think its fair to say we've largely been free of the tourist targeted crime that you see in some other cities in Europe and elsewhere. It's dissapointing to hear this is no longer the case and that visitors will need to be watch out when visiting Edinburgh:-(

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

The "false police officer" scam is commonplace in cities like Paris and Rome. Very sad to see it migrate to Edinburgh.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

It was reported on BBC Scotland news last night.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

Plain clothes police officers aren't usually wanting to make themselves known to the public though, so there's a clue to start with. It would be a pretty rare thing for even a uniformed police officer to want to search a visitor let along someone in plain clothes. I'd like to think I'd smell a rat in an instant, but I guess thats why they are targetting people from overseas who might not know any better.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

This scam has previously been reported on the London and the Copenhagen forums, so it looks like it is all over Europe. I guess it was only a matter of time before it got to Edinburgh.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

I'm really sad to read about this as we have always felt very safe visiting this beautiful city, hopefully the local authorities will be able to stop it soon.

England
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

Common sense approach:

*Police Officers should identify themselves i.e they should tell you that they are Police when they approach you.

*You do not have to submit to any stop and search. Police must have reasonable suspicion to stop you. If you are a tourist minding your own business then that is not reasonable grounds to conduct a search.

*Ask to see their warrant cards/ask for collar numbers. Some senior ranks in the Police Force don't have collar numbers, but it is very unlikely that two senior officers will be out and about without PCs (police constables) or PS (police sergeant)/DS (detective sergeant) who will have collar numbers.

*Phone 101 and ask the call handler/switchboard operator to confirm the collar numbers or any details the 'Officers' provide you.

*If they fail to comply with your request and/or become agressive/making threats towards you then dial 999!

Remember just because you're body is on holiday doesn't mean your head should be...

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

We're lucky to live in a country where there are clear rules regarding police conduct which are almost always followed, such that it's perfectly OK to challenge the requests and actions of an officer (within reason!). Lets be honest though, in many other countries the police can be rather less understanding and failure to immediately comply can land you in big trouble, so it's quite understandable that visitors to Scotland from these countries might adopt the approach of doing what they're told and not asking questions when confronted with people claiming to be law enforcement!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning to Tourists in Edinburgh

This is sad. I really hope folks will keep this thread up with any advice on how to minimize the risk of this happening....We will be in Edinburgh in two weeks...