We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute planning

oregon
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute planning

My husband and I are visiting Edinburgh for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I haven't been as diligent as usual in my planning. I am all set with hotel and air, and I booked the Hairy Coo Highland Tour, but that's all I've done. Is there anything I would regret not paying attention to in advance that I should reserve before we go - sightseeing, entertainment, restaurants? We do want to take a day tour to St. Andrews - is that something I need to arrange before we leave? We'll be there early June for 4 days. I don't want to get there and kick myself for not booking something great in advance. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute planning

Loads of events on. list.co.uk/events/…

Restaurants are many. They get busy Fri/Sat nights obviously so you might not get first choice but you won't be stuck, especially if you're flexible over when and where you eat. TA's reviews are OK but they tend to emphasise populist places, mixed in with some top notch places. It's not difficult to tell them apart to be honest. If you want good places to eat it's worth booking them. We can mention a few places if you mention budget and type of food. And likely location.

Day tour to St Andrews. There's a train to Leuchars and an associated bus into ST Andrews. Or a bus directy from Edinburgh. No need to do a tour, all you need is a guide book. Another bus service runs along the Fife coast so you could visit one or more of the "East Neuk" fishing villages on your way back to Edinburgh, maybe eat the excellent fish and chips in Anstruther. www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/eastneuk.html

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
oregon
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute planning

Thank you, Derek. We are staying at the Caledonian. Budget not so much an issue. We like good quality food and preparation, local and fresh. We would also like to learn about whisky (and by "learn", I mean "sample" :)). Are there any less- commercial places that we should contact in advance?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute planning

There are lots of places you can get really nice food, if you're not worried about budget

Angels wih Bagpipes on the Royal Mile. Tom Kitchin's place on Commercial Quay, or his other establishment Castle Terrace Restaurant. Martin Wishart on The Shore. Mithas, Dock Place, indian food that should have a michelin star. All of which I know, even if I have to save up to eat there!

A rung down the league table but still good food. East Coast, Dalry Road. Cafe Cassis, Salisbury Road.

Whisky: the Whiski rooms, on The Mound. Or consider membership of the Scoth Malt Whisky Society who have premises on Queen Street, or at The Vaults in Leith. The Society often do taster events which the public can attend in the Summer.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,085 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Castle Terrace Restaurant
Castle Terrace Restaurant
2,345 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Restaurant Martin Wishart
Restaurant Martin Wishart
1,243 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Shore
The Shore
492 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Whiski
Whiski
1,530 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Leith
Leith
230 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
4. Re: Last minute planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16