We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Hi all,

I'll be in Edinburgh for a week but flying back to Toronto out of glasgow. The flight is around 8:30am, and I'd like to arrive at the airport about 3 hours in advance. It seems the buses and trains don't run that early? Does anyone have any suggestions? And if my only option is an airport taxi, does anyone have any trustworthy recommendations for a good company?

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Stay at Glasgow airport the night before is what I would do. Holiday Inn is right in the airport, you could check in and return to hotel for breakfast.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

A taxi will cost you around £85 so I agree you might as well just stay at the airport overnight. Otherwise you will need to leave Edinburgh in the middle of the night. No need to get there three hours prior though. 2 hours is plenty at GLA.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 15:05
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

A taxi from central Edinburgh to Glasgow Airport will cost £145.60, all three Edinburgh taxi companies will charge a similar amount, the rate for them is about £2.60 a mile. Stay at the airport Holiday Inn.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

I forgot to mention that I really don't want to stay in Glasgow the night before (should have clarified his earlier) for various reasons. Is a taxi the only option , then?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

If you are going on a Saturday or Sunday morning there is the 900 bus but that will only get you to Glasgow, you would still need to get from the city centre to the airport.

citylink.co.uk/timetables/Summer14/WEB_Summe…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

It won't cost as much as 145 pounds if you find a company that does airport transfers e.g.

www.airporttransferscotland.com/transfer.html

There's a Megabus service from Edinburgh to Glasgow bus station at 05:15 getting to Glasgow at 06:10. You can then take the airport bus from there. Should get you to the airport before 0700

https:/…

There are no direct flights to YYZ from GLA so where are you connecting?

Edited: 31 May 2014, 20:21
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Ronaldo

There are plenty of GLA/YYZ flights.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Thanks everyone, I guess I'm nervous about getting there with enough time? I'm always told you need 3 hours, in which cAse the bus mentioned above won't quite work. Why is there earlier service on the weekends??

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

Forgot to mention-the flight is on Friday morning at 8:40

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning transportation to Glasgow airport??

OK for some reason when I checked Skyscanner it was not bringing up Air Transat flights so apologies. I must have been looking on a day they don't fly.

According to the Air Transat site the flight leaves at 08:50 on a Friday (later almost every other day ironically) so taking the first bus I mentioned would get you to the airport nearly 2 hours prior to takeoff and seriously that is plenty of time at GLA.

"All Air Transat check in counters will close (1) one hour prior to the time of departure. Passengers arriving for check in after that time may be denied boarding.

Passengers are encouraged to check in at least three hours prior to departure, and must present themselves with their baggage and all required travel documents in order to be processed."

The three hours thing is only a recommendation. You can still check in up to an hour before and there should be no issue. However if you are nervous about this then your only choice is to get up in the middle of the night and take a taxi or pre-booked transfer. The bus will get you there in time if all goes well but then you won't have much of a time buffer if things go wrong. So that's your options.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 03:22