We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Hi, I am going to be arriving in Greenock in August on Ruby Princess and I would like to go see the Military tattoo in Edinburgh. Our ship arrives in the morning and leaves the next day at 1 AM, allowing time for me to see the 9 o clock show. I am having trouble finding private tours or transportation there and back as they seem to be all booked up. My plan now if I can't find any transportation is to take the train from greenock to glasgow and then to edinburgh, see the show and maybe take the train from edinburgh to glasgow and then take a taxi from glasgow to greenock as I saw a person suggest, or to see if I can find a taxi from edinburgh to greenock after the show. Which would you suggest so I can make it back to the ship at 1 am. I have emailed iverclyde taxi and onward travel to see if they can take me from the tattoo back to port, but I have not heard back from them yet. Do you know about how much it might be to do this?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,914 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

The tattoo is scheduled to finish at 22:30. It is a 90 minute drive at least to Greenock not withstanding the time it will take you to get off the esplanade and find your taxi which may have to park some way away. That would take you to around 0030 to get to Greenock. I presume they want everyone on board some time well before 1am.

Are you sure this is a good idea? If you were to find someone I would say it would cost in excess of 100GBP

Edited: 02 June 2014, 02:53
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm still deciding whether its worth it or not to see the show or to just visit Glasglow and Greenock for the day. I definitely do not want to miss the boat!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Assuming it's the following then you could always fly to Kirkwall the next day and catch up with the ship, though you'd miss the Western Isles

www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

The train will take about 50 mins from Edinburgh th Glasgow. Then an onward taxi from Queen St station to Greenock will take about 40 mins.

It's doable - it just depends on how much wriggle time your happy with.

You'll need to be on the 10.45 or 11pm train (I can't remember if they are still ¼ hourly at that time - but one of those two times will be running) of its the 11pm train you'll reach Glasgow (with no delays) at 11.50 - in a taxi by midnight, back to the boat by 00.40 ........ I don't know how happy if be with that ... but it is doable.

Hazel

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

BTW what date does the ship reach Edinburgh as based on the sailings above it's certain the ship will be in Edinburgh during the Tattoo - unless of course it's Sunday

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

That ship departs Edinburgh @7pm

You came on asking for advice, mine is simple

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !

My honest opinion

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Must be this departure as the only other August departure would put you in Edinburgh on a Tuesday

iglucruise.com/ruby-princess/15th-august-201…

My advice - leave the ship at Edinburgh on the Sunday and catch the Monday night Tattoo performance. You would have just enough time to catch the Sleeper train to London

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

My cruise is the aug 3 - 15 british isles cruise on the ruby princess. The ship arrives on Fri, aug 8th to glasgow and leaves sat, aug 9th at 1 in the morning. Yes, the next port is Kirkwall, but I'd hopefully rather catch the ship then have to arrive other transportation. I just wish they would push back the departure by an hour for more wiggle room. Has anybody ever had experience with princess transfers for the tattoo? I'm assuming they wait till the end of the show and then have to wait for everybody to board. Do they usually make it back on time? I just have to make it back before they do because the ship won't leave without them, but it's a big gamble.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

Yes, the ship stops in Edinburgh on Tues, but it leaves at 7, so theres no way for me to attend that show. For that day, I intend to look around town. I read that the Fringe Festival is around that time, so I'm hoping to enjoy some of that. Any advice on what to do in Edinburgh on that day and best way to get from Edinburgh port to town?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh transportation info

I think the idea of doing the tattoo under you own steam (so to speak) is too risky.

There is plenty to do in Edinburgh the day you are there, really depends what you are interested in.

By the way it is the Festival Fringe not the Fringe Festival.

https://www.edfringe.com/