We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

hello,

I need to go from Market Street to Lawnmarket with a medium size suitcase. What is the best way: "The New steps", the "Advocate's close" or take the longer way by the Mound and Ramsay Ln?

Google maps tells me to go by the New Steps, but somewhere in this forum someone said it's very steep...

Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

I'd use the Scotsman Steps - but they are steep. The less steep option is to go up either Jeffrey or Cockburn Street

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

Alanrow - Think you are confusing grassmarket and Lawnmarket.

Personally I'd just use The News Steps.

Note - its actually "News" not New, named after our local evening newspaper.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 14:00
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

thank you.

I didn't now it was named after the news as in newspaper... I thought it was by being new. Sorry... :-$

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

The steps here were first built in 1869 when the St Giles Street was laid out in its present form. http://goo.gl/2mgcN8 They were called The News Steps because The Evening News had an office in the building to left of number 19. You would walk through a vennel, an open air passageway, where number 19 now stands and climb three sections with eight flights of stairs to St Giles Street. In 1928, hence the date on the building The Evening News building was extended and took over the area the steps started in. The steps were realigned and if you move Google Maps one click right you can see the present start of the steps with the lights above the entrance

Originally the building with Sharkey above the door, Sharkey are a frim of Edinburgh based shop fitters, was The Imperial Hotel. I don’t know much about The Imperial Hotel except that it had a large fire in 1895 and oddly they had a second fire the next night too. A member of staff was detained by police after the first fire and then released without charge.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

Both the News steps and the Advocates Close involve climbing lots of steps. I don't think I would enjoy carrying or pulling a suitcase up either. The News steps are essentially a vertical spiral staircase running from Market street up to the Scotsman Hotel on SOuth Bridge. Advocates Close is a long staircase running from Cockburn Street to the Royal Mile.

I would walk up Market Street until it joins the Mound. I would then turn hard left and follow Bank Street to the Royal Mile. You then turn right, and are then at the lower end of the Lawnmarket. The LawnMarket runs up towards the Hub. After that, you are on a narrower street, Castlehill, which takes you to Edinburgh Castle. Ramsey Street joins Castlehill just before it gets to the castle esplanade.

Google doesn't really understand the 3D nature of the roads and paths in Edinburgh.

Alanrow's suggestion to use Cockburn Street isn't so bad - it gets you onto the Royal Mile and then you can turn uphill past St Giles. The longer the route, the less the gradient.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

"The News steps are essentially a vertical spiral staircase running from Market street up to the Scotsman Hotel on SOuth Bridge."

I think what you are describing are The Scotsman Steps that lead to North Bridge beside what is now the Scotsman Hotel but was originally the Scotsman building. The first purpose building newspaper building in the UK and I also think in the world. They were renovated in 2011 http://goo.gl/WQu828

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

< Alanrow - Think you are confusing grassmarket and Lawnmarket. >

Em, no. Cockburn Street puts you at the middle of the Lawnmarket, Jeffrey Street at the bottom end. Neither are anywhere near Grassmarket unless the trams have made more difference to Edinburgh than I thought

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

No, you are wrong. Cockburn Street leads to High Street.

Lawnmarket runs from the roundabout at Johnston Terrace to the junction of St Giles Street. The most westerly point being at the Ensign Ewart pub to The High Court in the east.

The street west of the Ensign Ewart is Castlehill and east of The High Court is High Street.

My suggestion at 2 was to use News Steps as they take you directly to St Giles Street, the most easterly point of Lawnmarket. News Steps are in the section with the Bank of Scotland HQ building west of the new hotel. I think everyone is confusing them with other sets of steps.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

LOL

and I always thought that the Lawnmarket was from George the IV up toward castlehill

Cockburn st emerges on the High st

And no matter what their name is or where they go . . . They are all way too steep and long for me!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to go up from Market street to Lawnmarket

Hi.

My simple answer; walk up market street from Waverley bridge. You'll see the News steps heading up the hill on the left. If you think you and your bag can make it - go for it. Otherwise continue up Market St and onto lawn market via the Mound.

Enjoy!

Abs :)