We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Topic
Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

We will be in Edinburgh in July through the above tour, and they offer optional excursions: a 5 hour Britannia Excursion and Dinner at fine restaurant (not specified which one), and a "Scottish evening with Bagpipers and Haggis" four-course meal with song, dance and music. I do not have to choose between them, they are offered on different days.

I know it all sounds very touristy, but it could be great fun too. We have taken Globus tours before and had a great time with the people that we have met. Anyone out there with experience with these type of things? I am particularly interested in hearing from someone who has actually taken these Globus excursions, to relate the quality of the experience and whether or not you think it was worth it.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

As I expected a Google search shows that in the past Globus have used Jamie's Scottish Evenings at The King James Hotel for this event. There are many reviews on Trip Advisor. It will be very touristy with every Scottish cliché exploited. They have been running there for many many years but this will be the last one as the hotel is part of the St James Centre complex and it is scheduled for demolition in early 2015.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 09:10
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

Britannia is an easy trip by local bus from the centre of Edinburgh - take the 22 if on Princes Street, 35 if on the Royal Mile

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

I dont know if you have been to one of the shows at Jamies AlanBrown but strangely (for one living in Edinburgh) I was invited along by visiting friends, and surprisingly, I was impressed by the professionalism and warmth of the show.

Yes it was a few years ago now and yes it was for the tourists but enjoyable for all that.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

The evening with entertainment seems like a better option, you can easily do the Royal Britannia and a fine restaurant yourself so it doesn't make sense to me to pay a premium for someone else to take you down to Leith and on to a restaurant.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

Yes, I've been to one of the shows but it was many many years ago. It was hosted by Bill Torrence. I was the guest of a foreign travel company for whom I have done some work. The food was a bit mass produced but the service was slick, you could tell that the staff had done it many times before. The show I would say was a bit twee and kitsch but it wasn't aimed at me. The audience who were there seemed to enjoy it,

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

Wow, I am waking up on this side of the pond to lots of helpful responses. I love Trip Advisor!

I grew up in Newfoundland and worked in tourism, and had my share of high-kitsch, cliche entertainment, but some of them were actually fun and well done. I guess that is what I am seeking to know. I will look up the reviews and see what people are saying. Thanks a lot!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

we are globus folks and 2yrs ago took that tour. Go to the Hagis it's cool and you pay rest to the National. dish and Ceremony of the Hagis. did not go to Britannia 5hr to much for a boat. used the time to search out some fun pubs

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

SanDiegoRetiredguy, it is great to hear from globus folks! The Haggis looks like fun and I think we will try that.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

Hagis goes really well with the wine wine wine

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Britain Sampler Globus Tours - Excursions

see my post above on the Abbotsford pub 2 blocks from the hotel, Golbus will tell you about it