We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

We will be staying about a 15 walk from Waverly near Grassmarket and catching an international flight out of EDI at 8:20AM on a Friday morning. EDI website says to arrive 3hrs early - How strict is that? (For example Toronto Pearson offers the same guidelines but the actual need varies by time of day.) Normally I'd take the bus I'm sort of leaning towards a taxi despite the added expense based on the early departure time and having luggage with us. Thoughts? Is the bus worth the savings do you think?

Where do you actually catch the bus at Waverly? Google maps is telling me to enter the station from N Bridge but I thought it was more towards Cockburn?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

Google Maps has problems with the 3D nature of Edinburgh, you want to go via Cockburn Street or Market Street. You can catch the 100 bus just opposite the entrance to Waverley Station. Where are you actually staying? You say "near" Grassmarket.

A taxi will cost £23 ish but the bus is £4.00 per adult, three hours seems a long time to me, normally I give myself 90 minutes before departure to be at the airport. The bus will take about 35 minutes at about 6:30am. A taxi will only be about about 5/7 minuets less but they will pick you up where you are staying. So you will save the 15/20 minute walk.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,167 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

A taxi will only be around £22 .Bus is £10 for 2? Grassmarket to Waverley with luggage early in the morning. Are you seriously gonna try to save £10 or so to have to shlep your bags to Waverley which is not exactly flat.

Catch a cab. You don't need to be at EDI 3 hours before. If you are going intercontinental then 2 hours is fine. Domestic or to Europe 90 minutes. It's a small efficient airport.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

Taxi - no ifs or buts. I wouln't want that walk at anytime, never mind hauling luggage. I always allow extra time and just have a coffee but 2 hrs should do

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

Thanks! I thought the cab made more sense given the situation. Should I book it in advance or just call that morning?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

I'd book the night before for an early morning taxi. Probably 6am for an 8:30am international flight to give yourself plenty of time. The airport varies in "business" early in a morning, it tends to be mostly business travelers at that time of day and on a Friday there's probably less of them but there's no way of saying for sure what it will be like - I've been through Edinburgh airport for the same flight week in week out and sometimes it's been mad busy and other times I've been the only one in the queue!

City Cabs 0131 228 1211

Central Taxis 0131 229 2468 (have an online booking option)

6. Re: Bus vs Taxi for Early-ish flight at EDI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24