We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel tips

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel tips

My wife and I are planning a 5 day car trip based from Edinburgh in early September. Any itinerary suggestions would be most welcome. Also, would we need to book accommodation ahead given we are pretty flexible and were planning an staying at local hotels, inns or B & B's

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel tips

Are you picking up a car after you have spent some time in Edinburgh (Edinburgh is not a great city to have a car, parking is expensive and limited)

What sort of things do you want to see, what are your interests?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel tips

If you are going to take trips based in Edinburgh with a car. The first thing you should do is make sure wherever you are staying has a car park. Very few places in Edinburgh have car parking facilities and it can cost up to £25.00 per day in a public car park, if there is one near your accommodation.

We always stay at The Knight Residence which does have a car park. I would also say that Edinburgh can be a nightmare to drive around.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel tips

Yes probably spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and only get car when we want to leave

As fans as interests, scenery and high quality food and wine - we are from Adelaide in SA so gastronomically addicted!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel tips

The East Neuk of Fife is very attractive, Elie, Anstruther, Crail and of course, St Andrews. Falkland Palace and the village of Falkland. That would be a very full day visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/… nts.org.uk/property/…

Stay somewhere in or near to Perth, next day Scone Palace, The Famous Grouse Experience at Glenturret.

I suppose it depends on how long you want the days to be and what your interests are.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel tips

You may not need a car at all, depending whether there's a tour takes you places you want to go. Two companies mentioned regularly are Rabbies and Timberbush, who do one day trips or longer.

e.g.

rabbies.com/tours_scotland_edinburgh/…

timberbush-tours.co.uk/our-tours/…

6. Re: Travel tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17