We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelpies

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kelpies

We will be in Edinburgh in July for three days (including a Sunday). Should we rent a car

and drive to see the Kelpies? I don't find any day trips that include them.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelpies

You can get a train to Falkirk Grahamston station, which is under 2 miles from the Kelpies. A taxi might then be a more convenient option.

Similarly Camelon is the closest station for the Falkirk wheel if you decide to extend the tour - or on a nice day you can walk the towpath between the Kelpies and the Wheel. An urban canal-side walk.

The two together would take half a day. You could use the same train lines to go to Linlithgow (Palace) or Stirling (castle etc) making a much fuller day. If you think the time out from Edinburgh is worth it ...

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelpies

I would hire a car and do the full day as suggested by Derek, then it will be at your own pace and without having to catch public transport, more convenient and maybe even cheaper. My son and his wife had a day trip last week to the Kelpies and they absolutely loved them.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelpies

I did this last Monday, and only did it coz I have the car ... Headed off in the morning and went to the kelpies and helix park ( really nice spot to wander although still under construction in places ) headed to the Falkirk wheel and onto Stirling.

If you have time and want a bit of retail therapy livingston has an outlet centre !!! But ya having the car means you are at your own pace although you will have to rent it on a Saturday till a Monday but use a city centre location and not the airport as it will save you !!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelpies

Yes, about 1 hr maximum drive, also take time to see the falkirk wheel and calendar house, then you have a fabuolous drive back to edinburgh, forget the motorway, go via boness and see the steam railway, then to linlithgow for the palace, blackness for the castle, hopetoun house and gardens, ending at south queensferry for the bridges and a pub dinner at the hawes inn, before heading back to edinburgh. Lots of great picture opportunities and lots of historical and contmporary references.

5. Re: Kelpies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16