We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

I have been reading the comments on transportation and I want to confirm something. The bus from the airport only goes to the Haymarket train station and back? I believe my hotel is within walking distance to the train station.

Thank you

AO

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

Not quite- I believe you can take the 100 bus to shandwick place (the stop after haymarket) and walk up lothian road

Or - take the 35 bus to fountainbridge and walk down lothian road

Either is closer than haymarket.

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

Thank you for the information.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

Take the tram from the airport to the start of Princes Street then its a couple of minutes walk up Lothian Road

Edited: 28 June 2014, 20:55
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

The 100 bus goes from the airport via Haymarket Station, Princes Street, George Street to Waverley Bridge

The tram goes from the airport via Haymarket Station, Princes Street, St Andrews Square to York Place.

Both have a number of stops along the way. The tram takes 5 or 10 minutes longer.

The 35 bus goes from the airport all the way down to Leith taking a circituitous route including Fountainbridge and the Royal Mile. The 35 takes at least 15 minutes longer.

Apart from a taxi, these are your main options. There is no train from the airport.

Either get off in Shandwick Place (100, tram) or Fountainbridge/Lothian Road (35).

edinburghtrams.com/plan-a-journey/route-map/…

lothianbuses.com/plan-a-journey/route-maps (click on 100) - the bus stop is nearer Lothian Road than the tram stop is)

lothianbuses.com/plan-a-journey/route-maps (click on 35) - there's a bus stop on Lothian Road, that's your nearest stop, but the journey takes longer. It's also cheapest.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

We took the tram from the airport to "West End Princes street", got off and walked about 2-3 blocks up Canning St straight into the back of the Sheraton Grand Hotel where we were staying. The "front desk" of the hotel just happened to be right there in the back where we entered. The side of the hotel that faces Lothian Rd houses a restaurant....if you enter there you have to go down a floor to the "back" of the hotel to the "front desk". It could not have worked out better for us, but we did the right thing by accident. We originally planned to take the Airlink bus in from the airport, but decided to try the tram instead.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 13:14
6. Re: Best way to get from Edinburgh airport to 1 Festival Sq

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:16