We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
565 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

I have a very excited daughter arriving in September from USA for a semester at the University of Edinburgh. She will live in Robertson's Close off Cowgate but is travelling without sheets or blankets. Where is the closest location (preferably inexpensive for student budget) for her to purchase these supplies upon arrival?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Argos, Frasers, Jenners, John Lewis, Debenhams, for starters

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

for the cheaper end ,Poundsavers on South Bridge and Edinburgh bargain stores on South Clark street. if she doesn't mind second hand there are numerous charity stores from South Bridge all the way to the top of Minto street

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,577 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Asda and Tesco have really cheap bedding. They are two Supermarkets and you can also order online and have it delivered (in the U.K). Also T.K.Maxx have cheap bedding too.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Alanrow's suggestions will not be inexpensive or student budget friendly, except for possibly Debehams or Argos.

The Poundstretcher on South Bridge is the most obvious place to start.

The big supermarkets - Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's - are also good bets. Might be worth while jumping on a bus to the shopping centre at Cameron Toll which has a large Sainsbury's for a bit of stocking up on arrival, if nothing in Poundstretcher appeals.

5. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 01:06
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Hi. The link above is for College Wynd, not Robertson's Close. Here is the correct link:

…ed.ac.uk/property-details/…

I lived on Cowgate in Uni accomm many years ago, and loved the local Pound Savers / Pound Stretcher places on North Bridge / South Bridge. There is an Indian shop on South Bridge with loads of drapes and throws and cloth that are ridiculously cheap.

For actual duvet and pillows etc, pop along to Sainsburys at Cameron Toll.

Enjoy!

Abs :)

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Could also take 47 bus to the Ikea at Straighton which also has a large Sainsbury's Supermarket nearby.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/

might be worth while checking through the students association website,i think there is a forum there where questions can be asked.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

Argos or Poundstretcher, or the charity shops as mentioned.

I'd suggest more than 2 duvet covers ... one on the bed, one in the wash, one under the bed, one scrumpled up in the wardrobe, and one worn as a toga :-)

Ikea bedding may be Ikea-sized not UK-sized.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy bedding supplies near University of Edinburgh

+1 to the suggestion of Argos.

When I lived in Edinburgh halls of residence (back in the 20th c), bedding was supplied. I guess things have changed, which is a pity for overseas students.