We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is sleeper train to London reliable?

NY
11 posts
Save Topic
Is sleeper train to London reliable?

I'm hoping to maximize my time in Edinburgh by taking the sleeper train from Edinburgh to London early Saturday morning - arriving London Euston around 7am Saturday morning. This seems to allow ample time for me to get to my flight out of London later that afternoon if everything runs as scheduled.

Is the sleeper train reliable Saturday mornings? Does it ever get cancelled or normally delayed? I checked the Engineering section of the Scotrail site and don't see anything planned for this line. Is there anywhere else I should check?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,032 Reviews
from US$66.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$350.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$589.80*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
108 Reviews
from US$292.00*
US$324.50
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

It has a very easy schedule to get to London and is rarely seriously delayed. Real problems only occur if its locomotive breaks down or the line gets blocked by some other incident

If engineering works were expected they would have been built into the schedule notified to you when you booked.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,983 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

< sleeper train from Edinburgh to London early Saturday morning >

It leaves late Friday night at 23:40 (11:40pm)

If you are leaving your luggage at the left luggage office do realise it closes at 23:00 (11:00pm)

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

The sleeper train is a good service and as already mentioned rarely comes in much later than expected. The good thing is that although it generally arrives very early in the morning, you can if you wish remain on the train until slightly later in the morning.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

Though if you're not an easy sleeper, do note that a skinful is a prerequisite for actual sleep on the sleeper!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
406 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

I have been on it 3 times and would not do it again by choice. Timewise it is reliable but I find it really hard to sleep on. I found it noisy and there is a rocking motion a lot of the time. I'm also quite tall and find the compartments cramped. I'm generally a good sleeper but have found myself pretty tired arriving each time. Others may of course have different experiences

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

I loved going on it and found the movement soporific. As said a wee refreshment helps!

NY
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

Many thanks to everyone that responded. Bought my ticket but apparently the train doesn't leave until 1am on the date I'm traveling. Does anyone have suggestions on things to do until the train departs? As alanrow was kind enough to point out, I'll need to pick up my luggage by 23:00. Looking at the site for the station, it looks like Burger King and Boots are both open until 0:00. Wondering if there is anything else to do at the station? or should I just get on the train as soon as they let us board?

London
Level Contributor
11,348 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

I would Get on as soon as allowed. Most other passengers will do that too.

9. Re: Is sleeper train to London reliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16