We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenock to Edinburgh train question

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greenock to Edinburgh train question

Hi, I'm going on a British Isles cruise and going to arrive at Greenock port and am going to the tattoo in edinburgh the same day and I was going to take the train from Greenock to Edinburgh and taking a private car back. My question was if I buy a one way ticket from greenock to edinburgh, would I be able to stop in glasgow before continuing on to edinburgh or would i have to catch the next train from glasgow queen street? My plan was to take the train at 12:02 pm or so from greenock to glasgow, then walk around glasgow for a little bit, then leave to edinburgh around 3 or 4 pm. Can I do this with a one way ticket from greenock to edinburgh or would I have to get a one way ticket from greenock to glasgow and then another one way ticket from glasgow to edinburgh? Thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh train question

A through ticket from Greenock to Edinburgh is fine, it is an open single so is valid on any combination of trains via the permitted route.

Not only do you have to change trains but also stations at Glasgow arriving at Central and departing from Queen St.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh train question

thanx for the info :)

3. Re: Greenock to Edinburgh train question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:16