We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Southern Ontario...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

What would the "extra" charge be to rent a car in Edinburgh, travel throughout Scotland and drop if off in Glasgow before flying to Belfast? Which car rental agency would be the cheapest to do this? Many thanks!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

No idea but it is usually hefty, probably more than dropping it back at Edinburgh and just getting the Bus/Train through to Glasgow to catch your flight.

London
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

One way fees usually £30 to £50. Impossible to say who is cheapest, the deals change all the time. You'd need to do test bookings to see prices for your dates.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Having done in emergency I found out to my surprise that the excess added for a hire in Glasgow and drop off in Edinburgh that I would have been cheaper taking a Taxi. Excess added at drop of was £1.40 per mile +vat by a well know international hire company

Southern Ontario...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Thanks for the suggestion.....since there are four of us ( two couples), bus or train back could possibly cost more than the "extra charge." It's that kind of info that I need to put it all into perspective.

Southern Ontario...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Thanks,rcspiers...I will attempt to get info from our automotive travel agency here about prices in Scotland for different companies. By the way, your country looks beautiful!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

I think you are better going on the websites of the actual companies as a test booking.

There are a few horror stories on here regarding bookings through third party agencies, they seem to end in tears.

Southern Ontario...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Thanks for your detailed info, Mike. Could you please check on my logic and math! in the following scenario.If the distance from Glasgow to Edinburgh is approximately 60 miles and the drop off rate 1.40 per mile, that would be 84 pounds sterling (about $150 Canadian at today's exchange rate), plus vat. To fly from Edinburgh,rather than Glasgow, is an additional $50 CAD per person..there are four of us (two couples).Each couple would pay half of the $150, plus vat, which would be cheaper than flying from Edinburgh. Also, because there are four of us, a bus or train back to Glasgow would not be economical. I appreciate your help as our daily schedule, hotels, flights etc. depend on these details. We are looking at 8 days in your beautiful, rugged country. My husband, being a McLeod, is eager to see Dunvegan castle!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

You also have to look at your schedule and timings. Where are you finishing your trip before flying home? Say, for example it was on the west coast, Loch Lomond area, even though the two airports are less than an hour apart in normal traffic, do you want to drive east to Edinburgh to save £10/£15 per person in drop off fees, if as you say the flight out of Edinburgh is more expensive and you don't want to return to Glasgow by public transport. That makes little sense to me. Book the flights most convenient for your itinerary and make your rental car arrangements accordingly, including the drop off fee if needed.

Southern Ontario...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

Thanks, gogolfing! From Glasgow we fly to Belfast, tour Ireland to Dublin, where we fly home. We'll have the same drop off issue there....one country at a time,though! I like your idea of organizing around flights etc and paying the drop off fee...within reason!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rent car in Edinburgh; drop off in Glasgow

It's less than 60 miles!

Centre to centre is approx 45 miles, even allowing for Glasgow Airport being 8 miles west of the City it is roughly the same with EDI, so airport to airport is still approx 45 miles