We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week, with a baby

Manchester
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A week, with a baby

We have an apartment in leith for a week in September. Although we have visited the city many times, we have never stayed in leith, and never bought a baby (4 months). Aside from zoo and Arthur's seat can anyone suggest things to do? Particularly if it rains! We have a car and are happy to drive out of the city. Thanks! X

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week, with a baby

National museum on chambers street

Royal yacht Britannia (assume you can get a pram round but check!)

Dynamic earth

The castle

Botanic gardens (outdoors)

Jupiter art land in west Lothian (outdoors)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,284 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week, with a baby

I would second the museum in Chambers Street, it's roomy enough to push a buggy around if baby is asleep and light and airy when baby is awake for you to look enjoy looking at the exhibits if you need to carry him/her. You could spend hours in there and still not see everything. It's a superb museum.

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week, with a baby

You won't need a car much within the city, because the bus services are good and are buggy-friendly. On a good day you can walk up the Water of Leith; you can visit the Botanic Gardens, north of Canonmills, or north of Stockbridge. Inverleith House is within the grounds and has a cafe: I see lots of young families and mums with kids. Likewise at the Galleries of Modern Art, Belford Road.

Are you buggy people or baby rucsac people? The latter opens up a lot of paths and tracks where buggies can't go - e.g. the slopes of Arthur's Seat.

Drives in the car

There's East Lothian: lots of small towns and villages along the coast, ending up in North Berwick; and there's a similar drive from Dunbar to Coldingham and St Abb's Head and Eyemouth.

Westwards you have South Queensferry, a lovely wee place under the Forth Bridge, Hopetoun House, and you can cut cross-country to Linlithgow Palace.

On a fine day you can head to Flotterstone where you can take a gentle walk into the Pentand Hills; a ranger centre and a nice pub/restaurant.

With a week at your disposal you've got plenty time for tourist Edinburgh and the regions beyond.

---

Leith covers a bit of territory: if near the foot of Easter Road, you have Leith Links close to hand and therefore a bit of green space to walk in; and Bijou which is a nice bistro/cafe.

If you're staying at Western Harbour, you can explore Newhaven, lots of old vernacular buildings, and Porto and Fi is a similarly nice place to eat.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 12:05
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week, with a baby

I don't think you can put a 4 month old in a baby backpack Derek, they usually need to be able to sit up before they go in those. Please be careful if you use on the front carrier ones, my friend tripped carrying with baby in one cos she couldn't see her feet, needed stitches in her knee and luckily managed to stop the baby hitting the floor too hard but according to the A&E nurses accidents aren't uncommon with them!

I forgot the art galleries - all free entry apart from any special exhibitions and buggy friendly :-)

There's Holyrood Palace but you can't take your pram in: royalcollection.org.uk/visit/palaceofholyroo…

If the weather is ok the boat trip on the Forth to Incholm Island for some wildlife spotting is nice to escape town and you can take your pram onboard (we did!) although i'm not sure what paths on the island are like as we didn't get off. Sure the boat crew would be able to advise. http://www.maidoftheforth.co.uk/

Falkirk Wheel

Linlithgow Palace

Edited: 14 August 2014, 12:56
5. Re: A week, with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17