We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter trip

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Easter trip

Hi all

6 women/girls coming to Edinburgh at Easter and wanted to see a show/play. Can't seem to find anything on Playhouse website. Is it open in April? I seem to remember when we were there a few years back it was closed for maintenance?

Also, looking at Thai and Indian restaurants if you can give me any tips. I know food is a personal thing. Port of Siam is an option.

Thanks for any feedback. We're staying in an apartment at York Place.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter trip

Not sure why the Playhouse closed but may well be maintenance. Maybe worth giving them a call. Personal favourites for Thai are Time for Thai in North Castle Street and and Dusit in Thistle Street. Both within easy walking distance of York Place.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter trip

Thanks for that. Am looking at Bombay Bicycle Club and Indian Cavalry Club for Indian choice. Any thoughts anyone?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter trip

I've been to Bombay Bicycle Club and it was nice but nothing special, just a standard Saturday night curry from what I recall!

Café India is nice, particularly for groups as it's a tapas style menu but Indian so you can try lots of different dishes.

There's also the Lyceum Theatre, King's Theatre, and Edinburgh festival theatre so you might find something on. I guess maybe the Playhouse is just closed between shows for set changes/rehearsals but seems odd there's nothing listed for so long.....unless there's an announcement due??

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter trip

The nearest Thai to the Playhouse will be Phuket Pavilion, on Union Street, which is pretty much opposite the Playhouse. I think they start serving at 5, with pre-theatre in mind.

Playhouse. I can see a programme runnng through to June, though I think they're only selling tickets as far as January. So I can see events in March, and a programme from June onwards - and as you say nothing between. Not sure why - a full month's gap seems strange, and as you say it's not that long since the Playhouse was closed for refurbishment. You'd expect them to be catering for Easter visitors in early April. August 2015 is festival time and nothing appears in their calendar, and is a dead cert to be busy, so it's possible they will add bookings later, for April.

You should look at the Kings Theatre, Festival Theatre, Lyceum Theatre, Queens Hall for alternative entertainment.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter trip

No maintenance planned for the Playhouse that I'm aware of - it could just be that they don't have anything booked in yet. It's still quite a long way off to next April.

I've had a quick look at the other theatres, and if "modern circus" appeals, you might want to check out the Festival Theatre: http://www.edtheatres.com/cirkopolis

6. Re: Easter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17