We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day... cant miss...

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One full day... cant miss...

Howdy!

During our five days in Scotland, it looks like we'll have one full day in Edinburgh. We're already planning on a ghost tour for the evening, but what would you recommend for the day?

I know Edinburgh castle would be up there, but would you recommend skipping it for something else if we've seen Stirling Castle?

It will be me, hubs, and 15 yr. old son, (who has very little interest in art galleries btw)

Thanks! :-)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day... cant miss...

Hi

For some ideas, have a look at this thread - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k7899…

My suggestions would be:

start with the open top bus tour - it will give you a good orientation and you can stop off any see any sights you fancy.

You don't have to tour the castle, but its at least worth seeing the view from outside, which is free and doesn't take long and you can then have a stroll down the royal mile.

Somewhere nice for lunch (my pref would be david bann - www.davidbann.co.uk - even if you're not veggie their dark chocolate souffle is to die for).

if you like the outdoors, and its a nice day, walk up arthur's seat - a stunning wee hill (extinct volcano actually!) with great views, right in the middle of edinburgh - scotland-flavour.co.uk/arthurs-seat-crags.ht… gives details.

Have fun, Edinburgh is a super city (even without the art galleries!)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day... cant miss...

I lived in Edinburgh for a while. It took me about 15 years before I went into the castle. The views of it from the city, eg Princes St. may be good enough.

Anyway, given the time available....walk down the Royal Mile, and up Arthurs Seat, then to rooftop restuarant (taxi?) of Scottish Museum.

Opposite is Greyfriars Bobby and the churchyard. I bet you can't read his story and keep a dry eye......

Then see a bit of the New Town.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day... cant miss...

Edinburgh Castle is very touristy. I was almost dissappointed at the many fake recreations, it had a Disney-esque feel to it. But, I'm still glad I went. It wasn't realistic, like Stirling Castle. The buildings are beautiful, and it was interesting to see the crown jewels. If you're going to Edinburgh, go to Mary King's Close. They offer a bit of a hokey guided tour, but it's worth it to be able to go underground and see the close. Have fun! Edinburgh is a wonderful city.

toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day... cant miss...

We just came back from a 10 day trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh. We would suggest you take the Majestic Bus Tour that departs from the Waverly Bridge near the train station. The tour offers a view of the city and you can hop off and on at various stops. The bus runs until Oct 29 and departs every 30 mins. The cost is 9 pounds for a ticket that is good for 24 hrs. Or 12 pounds for the grand tour which is 4 sightseeing tours. The Majestic Tour goes down to the Port of Leith. If you don't get off the bus, then the tour takes about 1 hour from start to finish. We enjoyed that.

We went on 2 ghosts tours, we preferred the Mary King's Close tour which is located on High street.

We toured both castles, Edinburgh and Stirling. If I was choosing only one, it would be Stirling. Edinburgh castle is larger. Stirling castle is more interesting I think. The views from both are fantastic. You can walk along Princess street in Edinburgh and get a great view of the castle.

We took the train to Stirling from Edinburgh. Had planned to take a tour bus in Stirling but found out it only runs in the summer. About a 30 min walk up to the Stirling castle. Beautiful restoration in progress. You have to see the views from the castle and then go to the Wallace Monument and look back toward the castle. You cannot walk from the castle to the Wallace Monument. We took a Lothian bus from the bus station for 1 pound each way. A minibus takes you from the monument parking lot up the hill to the tall monument. My husband climbed the many stairs inside the monument. If you want just to see the view, that is free.

Always rent the audio cassette in the castles, it adds so much to your visit.

Just walking the streets in Edinburgh is fun. So many interesting closes and buildings. There is old cemetary near the parliament building down the hill on High street. There is the Palace of Holyrood House and the start of the walk up Arthur's Seat down the hill at the end High street.

A 15 year old might not be interested in Roslyn Chapel but for me, it was the best part of our trip. We took a Lothian bus from Edinburgh bus station to Roslyn. 1 pound each way or 2.30 pounds for unlimited travel for 24 hrs. Just wonderful carvings.

We took a Scotline Tour into the Highlands to see Loch Ness among other things. If you have a day for that, I would recommend them highly. Scotline Tour office is located on High street. We booked over the internet. Actually, most of our travel arrangements were done on the internet. Everything went very well.

Just LOVE Scotland and plan to go back some day and see more.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day... cant miss...

Good things to do on a pleasant spring day

Have a Marks and Spencers picnic in Princes Street Gardens (M&S simply food shop at Waverley Station nearby)

Stroll up and down the Royal Mile exploring any closes along the way:

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/

Break off part way down the Royal mile to join victoria Street and go down to the Grassmarket area and explore the historic pubs and shops:

http://www.grassmarket.net/welcome.htm

If the children don't have museum fatique they may enjoy the Dynamic Earth Science place alongside the Holyrood Parliament:

http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/

Maybe a walk up Calton Hill to the Observatory:

edinburghguide.com/travel/…caltonhill.htm

Open Top Bus ride

Haggis for lunch at the Amber Restaurant or cafe at the Whisky Heritage Centre by the Castle (vegetarian variety available for wimps or veggies!)

http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

Whisky sampling at above

Alternative lunch - A play, a Pie and a Pint at The Jamhouse:

www.thejamhouse.com

We love to check out the great prices on Doc Martins shoes at Barnets shoe shop about half way down the Royal Mile on the left

See the spot where Mary Queens of Scots lover was murdered at Holyrood Palace

Read some of the gruesome facts about Edinburgh and the Royal Mile from the display at the Police Museum window:

edinburgh-royalmile.com/interest/police-muse…

Hunt out the Elephant House Cafe where J K Rowling was a frequent visitor, and one of two Cafes in Edinburgh where she reputedly penned her first Harry Potter Book. It overlooks the famous Greyfriars Cemetary, and is just up the road from the Greyfriars Bobby Statue:

http://www.elephant-house.co.uk/elephant.htm

http://www.elephant-house.co.uk/elephant.htm

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day... cant miss...

JCMF: << ... go to the Wallace Monument and look back toward the [Stirling] castle. You cannot walk from the castle to the Wallace Monument. >>

Of course you can! Takes about 40 minutes.

California
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day... cant miss...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will look at all the links as well...

My son has read all the Potter books and will get a kick out of the Edinburgh connection. :-)

Sound like we can live without the castle there. We'll have just spent a full day in the Stirling the day before so just walking and being among the natives will be fun! The open top bus sounds like a good idea too!

YAY!

toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day... cant miss...

I asked two people working at Stirling Castle how to get to the Wallace Monument and both told me that it was too far to walk. For us, part of the adventure was taking the bus to see the town and chat with the locals. By the time we got there it was almost 4:30 pm, almost closing time.

What a fantastic view!!

9. Re: One full day... cant miss...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:16