We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
292 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

I will be in Edinburgh in January/February...my first time in Scotland. I will not have a lot of spare time, and I'm wondering in advance what types of items people tend to purchase in Edinburgh (or Scotland generally) to "take home," other than Whiskey and kilts! If there are recommended places to shop for these items, I'd appreciate that, too!

I will be shopping primarily for my 11-yr-old daughter and 7-yr-old son, as well as my husband, parents, etc. I have brought home ethnic (children's and general) music (CDs), and books about the places I've visited, from other trips, so if anyone has a suggestion of a CD shop or of a book store with children's/teen's books about the city, that would be great, too. Thanks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

A really cool non-tacky but ethnic Scottish gift is a quaich - a shallow drinking bowl, usually for whisky. Not for the children, but a fine present for adults. If you're feeling really flush, buy one in Sterling Silver.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

I think that museums and art galleries often have a great choice of unusual gifts for all ages. The Museum of Childhood for example has some old-fashioned toys and games, and the museums in Chambers Street have some lovely gifts. I like Christmas shopping in these places for something a bit out of the ordinary.

Jenners (the large department store on Princes Street) also has a large gift shop with some good quality Scottish souvenirs.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

If you are looking for Scottish music CDs etc then the best place Coda Music, 12 Bank Street, The Mound, Edinburgh Tel: 0131 622 7246 / Fax: 0131 622 7245 I cannot at this time find a website for them.

They claim to have the biggest selection of folk music in Scotland and don't charge extra for mail order.

Bank Street is just off the Royal Mile at the Lawnmarket and is commonly regarded as part of the Mound.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Don't overlook any Tourist Information Centre that you come across, they also do retail.

Look out for the Hairy Maclary books by Lynley Dodd for your 7 yo - they are great and you'll love them as well! Also the book about Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson always a childhood favourite and topical to Edinburgh.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
292 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Thank you, everyone! I leave in less than 3 weeks and am very excited...and I'm taking all of your ideas with me! Thanks again!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Hi

A few ideas:

Woollens - I know it can be a cliche, but scotland does produce gorgeous woollies - especially cashmere - whether a budget breaking jumper or a reasonably priced pair of gloves. There are a few shops on the royal mile - or you can buy over the net from johnstons - www.johnstonscashmere.com

Music - definitely - depending on your taste of course, options include Gaelic rock (runrig etc), scottish groups (belle & sebastian, proclaimers, franz ferdinand), fiddle music , etc..

Books- waterstones on princes street is not bad with options for all ages, ranging from Ian Rankin's Rebus crime books set in Edinburgh to books about the city. if you want a good guide book, "Scotland the best" comes highly recommended - and I think you can even buy the Edinburgh chapter on its own.

jewellry - there are several shops selling reasonably priced scottish jewellry (ola gorie, ortak, sheila fleet) - or to admire or treat yourself to something really special have a look in Hamilton & Innches, on george Street - one of Scotlands oldest jewellers & silvermsiths.

Finally, although it clearly isn't good for our health, we clearly have a sweet tooth as a nation, and you should really try some of our "tablet" - a very firm fudge and some of our baking - oatcakes are v. nice, perhaps with a nice piece of orkney cheddar, and perhaps followed by a nice smooth, smoky island malt whisky (cadenheads on the royal mile - or any supermarket - will be able to supply you).

Happy shopping!

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
292 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Thank you! Looks like there is plenty from which to choose....no doubt my kids and husband will be thrilled with what I'll be bringing back to them!

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
292 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

Thank you, everyone, who gave me info. I am back from my WONDERFUL trip to Edinburgh (and London). I fell in love with Edinburgh. What a beautiful city! I managed to see a lot in such a short time but, of course, not as much as I had hoped or that there is to see! I didn't spend much time shopping, but thre were plenty of nice things to buy.

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful recommendations! I did seek out some of the places/items you suggested.

Until my next trip....

9. Re: Shopping Suggestions... & Music & Books

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:17